German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - How to teach: No Counter Surfing
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Baillif
Knighted Member

Bunch of ways to do it. I try to stop it from ever happening by management and if I can catch him doing it for the first time I nail him hard for it to try to prevent it from happening again.

Once you have one that has already rewarded himself for it and its reinforced then it is a bit more tricky. You can sort of imprint the idea in his head that you don't want it by baiting the counter waiting for him to try to grab the bait and then blocking or correcting. A few reps of this and I would basically try to trick him and invite him up there. If he takes the bait he gets nailed, if he doesn't he gets rewarded for not being stupid.

If I was going to correct it I would correct hard, but it depends on the dog too. You want one where the dog is thinking "ouch" but not one that totally causes the dog to shut down completely.

You need to teach him he can't pull this off just because you aren't around to stop him too. So this will require spying. You more or less set up a sting and spy on him when he doesn't know you are there. If you've done scenting or anything like that with the dog this will be quite a bit harder so if you can set up a webcam or something like that go for it.

An e collar blast for this kind of thing is useful too. You'd take all necessary precautions to prevent collar or receiver awareness on the dog. Depending on what his temperament was determines just how high ya go on the power dial, but soon as his front feet touch the counter...ZAP. Quick high intensity pop. The odds of superstition go way down as long as that is not his first time in the kitchen. It could happen, but not likely.

Last edited by Baillif; 12-08-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote