German Shepherds Forum banner

Opinions on puppy training classes

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  SummerGSDLover 
#1 ·
I just signed Yogi (13 wks) up for puppy school through "Unleashed by PetCo"... Any reviews on the big store classes? I already paid for them. :/ The trainer called me to tell me that so far I'm the only one signed up and she's looking forward to meeting Yogi. She introduced herself and told me she's been a dog trainer for 17 years but only worked for PetCo for two... Opinions good and bad welcome. :thumbup: :thumbdown: ?
*-*Summer*-*

#2 ·
The petco training was good. We were the only dog in class, so we got all the attention.

I wanted to go to socialize him with other dogs though. He learned a lot and after that class we signed up for another one through the vet. There were lots of dogs in that one.

#7 ·
Good from a socialization standpoint with people. Get her really hungry prior to going and lure course her around people and pups and have a ton of fun with her really.
Puppy classes are great. Nice way to 'make' us get on a schedule of training and socialization with our pup. Otherwise seems like life gets in the way and we put it off and it's not a benefit to the pup.

If you do want to continue with training after the puppy stages, you may want to look around for other clubs/classes in your area. Ask around (vet?), specially if you see other people out training with their dogs. There are so many things to train our dogs now too CGC, Obedience, Rally, Agility, Flyball, Tracking.....

Good luck and remember the BEST thing about puppy classes are as long as you and the pup are having fun then you are on the right path!

:)

#8 ·
My female GSD did all the classes at Petsmart and did very well. I happened to find a trainer that is a professional trainer at a club and at Petsmart. Her training style is to train so the dogs can do Rally, Agility, and get their CGC. She uses agility equipment and the signs for Rally. I went there for my older golden to and he is very obedient. It wasn't a good place for my male GSD, he needed more direction. I am taking my golden puppy to another Petsmart and I like that trainer to, but the class is moving to fast and I don't feel he is absorbing everything, so in January I am going back to my original one, even if it takes me hours to get back and forth.

#9 ·
I hope you get some more dogs in your class so that you do get a little bit of dog socialization in a structured environment. The class is likely to be all positive reinforcement training so that's a good thing.

If you plan on continuing training, post your location and people might be able to point you towards a club. Any kennel club will likely have much cheaper classes that are also very good and will be able to help you reach much higher levels of obedience. They'll also be structured to help you move towards other sports and other venues which you might really enjoy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.