German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - hi all, ner member, first gsd soon
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2013, 02:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Miika's Mom

Location: The base of Rattlesnake Mountain (South Central Washington)

Welcome Nadeen

For the pulling I would use a pinch collar. I use it on my girl when we go for a walk and there is virtually no pulling and she doesn't mind wearing it at all. If I just use her regular collar she will pull, so she knows as will Isis. (Miika is six months old by the way.) I would start with the collar properly adjusted and resting high on her neck (just behind the ears) as that will give you the greatest control. Usually one or two quick changes of direction or quick snaps on the collar will get their attention and the pulling will cease or at least be greatly reduced. Of course she will need reminding until it become second nature not to pull.

I am sure others will chime in with their suggestions too. They have much more experience than I so you will be sure to get great ideas. Isis is not a little puppy so I would not be worried about using it. They are nicer than choke collars, they just look a little wicked.

BlueBelle and Beau (sister cats) and 5 Arabians
Miika is the baby, Black Sable GSD
Miika's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote