German Shepherds Forum banner

Question About Pulling

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  TaraM1285 
#1 ·
I'm new to the forum. I don't have a GSD but I'm doing my homework now and may get one in the future.

I guess there is a weight pulling sport? How much do they usually pull?

And what about pulling small sleds or carts? Like maybe pulling a todler in a sled or cart? Can they do it? Just asking because I do not know. I wouldn't make one do anything too extreme or anything.

#3 ·
Oh I know I should wait until they are old enough. I had a Lab and there was certain things she couldn't do until she was big enough.

And I didn't plan on doing a weight pull, I was just curious how much they usually can pull. Since I've seen some threads where people habe their GSDs compete.

#4 ·
How much the dog pulls in weight pull depends on many things: their training history, their confidence level, the trainers experience, the type of surface they are pulling on, the equipment, how the weight is stacked, weather conditions, etc.

Weight pull is different than carting. Weight pull takes place over a short distance, typically 16 feet. There's no break on the cart or sled, a human breaks when the dog has completed a pull. You need to have someone there to break the cart or your dog will get run over.

Carting (aka drafting) has a special set up that stops the cart when the dog stops. Dogs also need to learn directional cues and they will pull over further distances. If you want to have your GSD pull kids in a cart, this is the activity to look into.
Here's a decent video that includes GSDs learning

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.