German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - For the first time since Dax came home...
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
DaniFani
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZoppa View Post
Dani, I'm a regular customer there. I see this woman all the time. The dirty look was not normal.

Like I said, I have been known to tick a few people off before.

If you knew ANYTHING about me, you'd know I don't view my dogs as "big bad dogs". Yes, I have them for a reason besides the fact I love them. They're not a status symbol for me. And while I'm at it, she's seen Shasta before. Never reacted that way to her and she's got a good 20lbs on Dax currently.

People like me. You don't know me. I'm not as much of a jerk as you seem to think I am. It's a joke. This prejudice is something we deal with having the breed we have. If we don't joke about it, we'll spend an awful lot of time ticked off about other peoples ignorance.

Admittedly, I like animals more than most people but I'm not going to intentionally scare someone. Now if they're acting like a freaking idiot about it, I'm sorry but I have no sympathy. When MY dog(s) are sitting calmly and quietly in MY vehicle not acting like fools like I've seen a lot do, THAT should be a clue to people that maybe the dog is under control.

Dare I even tell you about the woman in Petsmart who started screaming like a bloody banshee simply because Shasta and I walked in? Or how about the fact she practically climbed onto a total strangers shoulders still screaming even though we were on the other side of the store? NO sympathy for people who act like fools about things like that. I understand fear but to behave that ridiculously over us simply coming into the store was beyond overkill.

ETA: I do obedience training. I'm not a fan of Akita's. Those dogs scare the heck out of me. I've been bitten by a great dane. I've had rottweilers come at me full charge, slobber and teeth all you can see, etc. I educate when I'm approached. Otherwise, far as I'm concerned, they want to view my dogs as scary biting beasts, they don't need to know they're really wimps who would welcome you in the door with a tail wag and a "wheres my treat?" sniff down. For me, that's one less person I'm concerned about deciding to follow me home. After my husband being at a week of training and someone breaking in through my backdoor after I'd put my 6 month old daughter to bed for the night, no, I'm less than trusting with that experience tacked onto many other. I'll work on the breed image when I'm not starving and making bad food choices.

Yes, I'm touchy. I apologize.
I'm sorry those things happened to you....I've had someone try and break down my front door while they were trying to run away from a domestic dispute and I'm holding my nine week old sobbing son, while on the phone with police...see...we all have a good scary sob story...but it has nothing to do with enjoying scaring a cashier and "coming back with both to earn the look." Good lord...bring on the dramatics....
"An excess of size is an unserviceable feature for breeding, his powers of endurance, his speed and the smartness of his movements suffer in all circumstances. Giants are never nimble."-Creator of GSD
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote