German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - My dog has done a complete 180 help!
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sunflowers
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejack View Post
I have a black German Shepherd who is about 2.5 years old. He had a few problems when I first got him over a year ago, but has been great (with a few exceptions) since. For the last 2 weeks he's been getting into EVERYTHING when we leave. Spices, garbage, recycling, mail, books....It happens in less than an hour and we give him plenty of other things to chew on including a Kong with kibble and peanut butter in it when we leave, so I really don't think it's boredom.

I have no idea what to do. We have a dog run 10x4 in the basement we have to lock him up in when we're gone now but I don't want that, he should be able to be loose-he has been for over a year.
!

Yes, it is boredom. The dog is not interested in what you leave him, and chooses to entertain himself.
He should be able to be loose, you say, but he is not.

Yes, you do have an idea what to do, but you say you do not want to do it.

Put him in the dog run. He will be just fine, and hopefully will not get himself into trouble. If he gets out and does it again , he needs to be crated. Chewing random things could be very dangerous.