I thought I should share with you a list of things I found most necessary while raising my 5 month old LHGSD (He also goes by the name of Archie)
1. Pure Tea Tree Oil (for belly rashes)
2. Stock of pumpkin cans (for puppy diarrhea)
3. Puppy Wipes (For after play time or any other outdoor activities)
4. Lots and Lots of Wellness Wellbites treats (Wellness WellBites Lamb & Salmon Recipe Soft & Chewy Dog Treats
5. Treats pouch (Chuckit! Treat Tote
6. Crate & Play pen (CRUCIAL for quick housebreaking and safe playtime & naps, make sure crate has divider)
7. Easy walk harness (my boy never even learned to pull thanks to this amazing product - if they don't learn to pull from day one they wont!) - PetSafe Easy Walk Black & Silver Dog Harness
8. Puppy Training Class - Definitely helped me improve our training sessions, initially I thought I knew what I was doing since this isn't my first dog but boy did this help!
9. Wellness Simple formula (Wellness Simple Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Salmon & Potato Formula Dry Dog Food
) I will touch up on this after the list.
10. Getting creative with chew toys (Antlers, Balls, Soft toys without stuffing, Kong, Water bottles)
11. Natures Miracle
12. Car seat cover
13. Good puppy shampoo
14. Extra towels in the trunk (be ready to wipe down wet dog!)
15. A good fabric food mat
16. Swiffer wetjet!
Things to avoid
1. Expensive beds (waste of money until they are housebroken)
2. Expensive collars (the grow QUICK)
3. Low quality treats (recipe for diarrhea)
4. Chokers, metal collars of any sort, shock collars, Bitter apple (Mine loved the taste hence chewed more!)
Things I learned, mistakes I made
1. Puppies ears will stand around 3-4 mo and fall again during teething - Do not panic they will come back up on their own!
2. Do not repeat commands more than once, repeating will only teach them that they can get away with behavior until you repeat your self multiple times
3. Its important for a puppy to have adult friends to teach him/her how to dog
4. Nipping, lots of nipping!!! - Do not panic this is normal, instead work on commands like leave it, drop it and redirect to a toy or stop the play session immediately
5. Do teach to pee and poo on command, it actually works and helps on those rainy days
6. Socialize A LOT!!!! (people, dogs, babies, cats etc...)
7. Do try clicker training, its a lot easier than youtube makes it sound sometimes
Signs of food Allergy
1. Diarrhea, soft stool and a lot of it!
2. My puppy was breathing loud almost snoring -- he sounded very congested, after a visit to the vet and 5 days of medication later his breathing improved however he would go right back to breathing raspy after the medication was finished, I put a humidifier next to his crate and steamed him which would help temporarily but then he would go right back to breathing as if he has a cold. Only after I switched his food from Blue Buffalo to Wellness did his breathing go back to normal, his poops got a lot better and he is feeling better overall. -- Moral of the story is, cold like symptoms CAN be food allergies but always best to check with your vet.
Please feel free to share your lists or ask me any questions you might have about anything on my list. I would love to hear your tips and tricks