Intussusception (telescoping intestine)
My puppy Russell (who will be 7 months old on Monday), has always been a good eater. No digestive issues. No diarrhea. Last weekend he started to refuse to eat at some of his meals, and when he did eat, he would throw up.
Tuesday we had blood work and a urinalysis done. All normal. He was still throwing up, but wanting to eat. Other than that, he is active and bouncy.
Wednesday he went in for an xray to see if he had an obstruction. They couldn't find anything conclusive. Still happy and playing.
Thursday - they had me bring him back yesterday for the barium X-rays. That showed something, but they just couldn't tell what it was. He had to stay overnight, since they were doing a series of xrays and were prepared to do surgery if they found an obstruction.
So today (Friday) they did an ultrasound, and decided they needed to do exploratory surgery since they couldn't tell exactly what was there.
I got a call from the vet awhile ago that his small intestine had telescoped back into itself about 10". Yikes. They managed to get most of it back out, but had to cut about 3" out. He is on IV fluids, antibiotics, pain meds, and apparently is awake and doing good. They are keeping him overnight (obviously) and may keep him all weekend. They will send the piece that they cut out to the lab to check for possible inflammatory disease. Just checking all the bases.
My poor sweet boy. I miss him so much. This is so scary.
~ Diane in Okla
Carly ~ AKC Ch, GCh pointed, HIC
Sage ~ AKC Ch pointed, HIC
Russell ~ future show dog