My husband and I are both in the USAF. Before he deployed to Afghanistan we talked about getting a puppy. While he was there he found an amazing breeder and we placed a deposit on a puppy (he had not been born yet). The day the mom had the puppies was an exciting day as it was also the day my husband got home. We picked out our boy and fell in love with him, we followed his growth with constant pictures and updates. When we went and picked him up (at 8 wks) it was the most exciting day ever. When feeding him we noticed that he kept regurgitating his food. After about a week we noticed he wasn't putting on any weight and was a lot smaller than all of his litter-mates, he also started to breathe like he was out of breath all the time. So, my husband took him to the vet, they checked him for worms and parvo both coming back negative. The vet then decided to take x-rays and they were not good. He had megaesophagus and it was very bad. The vet told my husband everything about it, we took pictures of the x-rays, and then he told him the bad news. His esaphogus was so enlarged that it his heart was being pushed extremely lower than it should've been, his lungs were being pushed on and that is why he could never catch his breath. All of his enternal organs were being effected and while we were feeding as we should've been he was extremely malnoursihed. The vet stated that it is the worst case of megaesphogus that he has ever seen in his 11 years and that he is surprised that our puppy was still alive. The vet told us about megaesophagus, we learned everything we needed to know. He also told us that a case as rare as our puppy's it was only a matter of weeks before his body just gave up. When we took him home from the vet we let him sleep in our bed for the first time and he was in so much pain he whined all night while he slept it was absolutly heartbreaking. Now please when I say this no judging me because it is by far the hardest choice I have ever had to make, my husband and I sat up all night crying (mainly me) and deciding what to do. We knew if he just had megaesophagus we would go the extra length to keep him healthy and give him as good of a life as we could. But, there were so many compications that we had to let him go. We let go of our baby german shepherd, that we had been following since he was born, at 9 1/2 weeks. My boy Murfee went to the rainbow bridge and is now waiting in a better place for us. Please do not post negative comments as I said this was the hardest choice I have ever had to make.
This is our boy Murfee the day we brought him home.
Now every cloud has a silver lining. (It was very hard to see on this one) After talking to our breeder, as I said they are amazing, she was devastated. This is the first time she has ever heard of any of her puppies having this. She knew how much I loved my boy so to help fill a void in our hearts she called me and let me know that we will be able to bring home one of his brothers. I will love this boy with all of my heart but there will always be a soft spot for my Murfee boy.
This is Tucker and on Friday he gets to come home to us. He has been checked out and is a healthy happy little boy.
Thank you for taking time to read my story I knew fellow German Shepherd owners would understand the heartache of having to make a choice like this. We now have an angel watching over us in Heaven where he can grow to be a big healthy happy german shepherd, we will meet him at the rainbow bridge. And as I said please no negative comments as we said this was not just a case of megaesophagus, there were many many complications that led us to our decision.
-Side note, ignore the horrible spelling as my spell check won't work.