Originally Posted by nellie555
We got a 9 week old puppy from a breeder 2 days ago and she is showing some signs of mega E. The pup had a sibling in the litter that had mega E pretty bad at its 2 week check up and had to be put down. But this little girl has been growing healthy and strong, she eats, drinks, poops, plays and is totally normal (other than being the runt and a little lean). Her only symptoms are her gurgling noises in her throat - the sound of water sloshing around. Plus her hick-ups after she eats and seems like she swallows big every so often. The breeder said she doesn't ever regurgitate (or vomit) after eating except once after eating the cat food. So far NO regurgitation whatsoever for us either. she acts totally normal except the gurgle throat sounds. The vet today said it could be but she wasn't sure and to just keep an eye on her. Thought I'd get some ideas and opinions from other GSD owners out there with any experience on the matter!! thanks!
Yes it is Mega E that sound is food or water in the esophagus. Get an Xray and you do not need barium. You need to take precautions and feed up right be careful with giving water, you need to monitor that. Get GasX you will need it as well. Gas is another factor with Mega E. If you massage the dog in the throat area by the chest you will be able to make that noise happen.
That noise is the way we found out our dog had Mega E. Its not a death sentence it can be managed.