Originally Posted by Erron1116
Hello and goodmorning from Jigga! I have had my gs puppy for three weeks now she is 14 weeks and 4 days and her ears are not standing yet. I have seen them stand before like when she is curious, sniffing or running but they only stay up for a short period of time then flop back down! I have seen so many gsd much younger then her whose ears are standing tall and straight. Is this normal at her age or should i be concerned
It's called "The Ear Dance"!!!
Don't worry about it until later but here are a few things you can do to strengthen the ears.
1. Ear Exercise: Whistle or make a sound that will “perk up” the dogs ears. Do this about 30 times per day.
2. Give them large raw bones: There are 150 muscles in the jaw that when exercised strengthen the ears due to the knowing, tugging and chewing the bone. RAW ONLY. Introduce at short intervals as the rich marrow material or bone fragments could cause diarrhea.
3. Feed skinless chicken necks as part of their meal. It has naturally occurring calcium.
4. Gently pinch the base of the ears together and massage the base without bending the upper ear.
5. Unflavored Gelatin powder: Sprinkle on 2 Tablespoons per feeding. This is found by the “Jello” in the grocery store. It is made from animal collagen. The brand name is Knox Unflavored Gelatin or Great Lakes Unflavored Gelatin.
Hope this helps!