My husband told me he wants another gsd last night. He told me to be open minded and do the research so here I am on the forum cruising
after reading a few thread I don't find the one that worry about the same issue with me so I start a new thread.
Lincoln is 8 mo. He is a perfect dog as far as we concern. Very friendly to other dogs and human. no aggression whatsoever. His training is coming along very well. He practically have most basic command down but we keep him in the obedience class to keep him socialize and its fun for us. The purpose of getting another dog is because we want Lincoln to have a companion. And even though we have been through a lot of pain with Lincoln which is our first dog, I wouldn't trade him for anything else. This is also the reason why my husband want to get another gsd if we are getting another dog at all.
So here is where I am on my worry....
1. Neutering. I believe the best combination would be boy and girl, right? Lincoln is intact and we plan on keeping him intact until at least 2 years old or maybe forever if there is no issue arise. If we add a female to the pack, then one of them has to be fixed?? how soon will that have to happen?? My first reaction to this is to wait until Lincoln can be neutered when he is two but then I thought if he is doing well intact, why would I do that to him just to get another dog?
2. I read somewhere that some dogs just won't get along... is it true?
3. I love Lincoln very much. So much that I don't know if I would be bias toward the second dog. Especially if they are so much alike (like same breed), I would probably unconsciously comparing them right? I feel like we were lucked out with Lincoln. He didn't get car sick, potty trained in couple of weeks, left home alone and cause no trouble since he was 3 months old. Will my next dog be easy? If not, will I love her enough to tolerate her??
4. Before we got Lincoln, when we were looking into what breed we want to get, my second choice from gsd was a English Cream golden retriever. My husband said I'm not patient enough to deal with retriever
. Anyway, so I thought if I'm getting a second dog, shouldn't I get that? Then I would have two dogs that are on the top of my breed favorite list. My husband said how about we compromise, since I want a white dog and he wants a gsd, lets get a white gsd. Is this even a good idea?
I would appreciate any feedback to help us with this decision. There are more to it but I don't want to write a book over this. Thanks in advance