So Paynter is an 8 month old GSD & Belgian cross, and lately he has started being a huge butthead to Jaeger, our 13 month old GSD. Jaeger is a very gentle, loving, nurturing GSD and he has always rough-housed with Paynter but has been his buddy. Now Paynter has started barking at him and bossing him around, hogging EVERYTHING, even trying to keep Jaeger out of the living room if Paynter has a toy he imagines Jaeger wants.
I realize that they are going to have to work out who is the boss of the pack, but Paynter is a terrible tyrant!
Is Paynter going to grow out of this? I don't want Jaeger to be unhappy!
So far I have tried:
1. Taking away the literal "bone of contention" when Paynter is yelling at Jaeger overly much about possibly, maybe looking at his bone.
2. Spending some time with both of them alone so they are not competing for my attention all the time.
3. Taking them on outings together so that they associate fun with each other.
4. Crating Paynter when he just will not stop (usually when he is tired).
5. Just generally working on Paynter's obedience.
They do still often play nice together. It just seems like Paynter is going through a super bossy, barky stage. Should I be doing anything different to make sure this doesn't become a permanent state of affairs?
Thanks for any advice! I don't want to screw up Paynter...he is showing signs of growing into a really awesome dog. It's this other stuff that worries me, lol.