Animals rarely die peacefully at home. I know it may seem that way, but there usually an underlying problem. Just because they can't verbalize their discomfort does not mean they are not experiencing it.
At 19 to I would bet your kitty is in Renal failure. It's common in older cats. I am NOT a vet, so I certainly cannot diagnose if this us what us happening to your kitty.
But if it is, they stop eating because the kidneys can no longer process the toxins in the bloodstream. These toxins make them feel very nauseous. Hence they won't eat. Their whole body shuts down.
Have you done any blood work on your kitty?
The subQ fluids can help flush the toxins. But you need to get your kitty eating. That may mean multiple days of subQ fluids or IV fluids.
There are drugs that help stimulate the appetite. I would ask you vet about them. You can also try warming up canned food in the microwave. Sometimes that will increase the smell and stimulate them to eat.
At 19 I, personally, would be hesitant to do a lot if treatments to prolong life. But please know that it's not an easy death on the kitty. And if you don't want to treat, the kindest thing it is to let the kitty go.
Sorry to be so straight forward. The wish they would go peacefully is for US, not them. Think if the kitty, not your wishes.
God bless. It's a tough spot to be in. I have been there.
Sent from Petguide.com Free App