German Shepherds Forum banner

Brought Kimber home yesterday.

3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Liz&Anna 
#1 ·
We got our puppy after what seemed like a forever wait. Her name is Kimber, she is from True Haus Kennels in Oroville, CA and she is 8 weeks today. The boys love her!

See less See more
#4 ·
Kimber is doing great! She is only getting up once in the night and seems to love her crate (for the most part). She is doing really well with the boys. She has quite the prey drive and running young boys set her off. We are working on bite inhibition.

She has been so so with the cats. One of the cats, Cheezit, is super social and tries to play. They have had a few play sessions from a few feet across (both still not too sure). They have touched noses several times. The other cat, Miles, not so much and he let Kimber know that with a swat across the nose. Kimber is now a little leery of Miles, the big cat.

We are doing good with potty training. We still have had zero poop accidents. Pee accidents, not so good. She goes often and we have missed it 5-6 times now. I have a question about going pee. She sometimes will dribble when she is excited, but only when she needs to go squat (on our way out to go pee). Is this just cause her bladder is full? Also, we have a large deck and sometimes she will go pee on the deck on her way out to terra firma. Will we be able to break this habit?

Here are a few pics:

#6 ·
As to the deck thing .. we have a deck too. First potty of the day, I carried him out. It took too long to go from the crate to the door and off the deck. Then, he could make it outside, but still didn't realize that just because he made it outside he still needed to go down to the grass so I would scoop him up at the outside door and carry him down the deck steps. Now he has no problems.

#7 ·
Just an update. Kimber is getting big, she is now 18 weeks and 46 pounds. She has been doing good with not going pee in the house or on the deck. She has only had a few accidents in the last month. She still has a problem with excited peeing. We are really hoping that goes away.

She has been meeting a lot of new dogs and has been having a blast. She has been going on a lot of hikes and loves finding deer parts and bringing them home. She seems to have boundless energy and LOVES to chew. She is doing great with our young boys and no longer bites or chews on them.

Here is a few pics. It is hard to get her to stay still. We were slaughtering a pig and she was getting into everything, so we tied her up.

#12 ·
Kimber went on her first group camp-out. We do about 5-6 group party camp-outs a year and I was a little nervous on how she would do. There were over 20+ dogs, pretty much all off leash. She did great, playing well with most of the dogs and we all had a blast. She did do some table surfing, but other than that was well behaved and wore out. She also had her first experience with water. She jumped right in the river and it was tough to keep her out. The ocean she was not so sure about, running from the waves with the boys. Here are some pictures;

In another thread, a few questioned getting a GSD with young children. My young boys absolutely love Kimber and she does great with them. My little one (3 years old) especially loves her and hugs, grabs, and wrestles with her every chance he can get;

#18 ·
Kimber continues to do well and is getting big. She has grown out of the submissive peeing completely. She has been great with the kids and has a terrific off switch. She is able to come in the house, lay on her bed, and chew on toys (even with little boys crawling all over her). She is trained and used to her radio fence (invisible type fence). We went to Sacramento over Thanksgiving break and she had a blast at the several dog parks we visited. She also learned "easy" (not pulling on leash) on that trip.

We will be visiting her breeder in a few weeks to start her official training. Right now she really only knows off, sit, recall, load-up, and easy. I sometimes feel guilty for not training as much as I think I should, but life is busy. We still have been continuing our twice daily hikes, getting 5+ miles when we have time, but mostly 2 mile jaunts. Her recall is almost 100% on our hikes. Our major issue right now is not listening to my wife when distracted.

Here are a few pics from our walk this morning;

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.