Ate about 1/4 cup raisins - getting treatment, but is it overkill?
So, on Tuesday, my 65 lb male GSD ate a bag of mixed nuts & raisins while I was at work. I estimated that there were about 1/4 cup of raisins in there that he ate. I assume he ate them right after I left for work at 7:30 am and I didn't find out until I got home from work at 5:30 pm. Called the vet, induced vomiting, but no raisins came up.. just the nuts. We assumed the raisins had already started to digest. Vet said to keep an eye on him for the next 24 hours and if he started to show signs like vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, etc. then to bring him in immediately. Well, during the middle of the night he was smacking his mouth a lot and licking his lips and seemed a bit restless. And the following morning, around 10 am, he started vomiting. I rushed him in to the vet, they put him on IV fluids until 3pm and took his blood work which all came back normal. I spoke with an ER vet and they said he would need at least 48-72 hours of continuous IV fluids and additional blood work every 24 hours to check his kidneys. So I took him to the ER vet for overnight care last night.. And then back again to the regular vet for the day today and then back to ER vet tonight and regular vet again tomorrow (it's cheaper than leaving him at the ER for 2 days straight) But man, it is expensive nonetheless!
My question is, based on the amount of raisins he ingested (1/4 cup), and the fact that his initial blood work came back normal, do you think it's overkill to continue with the remainder of the 48-72 hour treatment? Because it's going to end up costing me a couple thousand dollars. He's already been on IV fluids for 24 hours, so if his blood work comes back normal again today (48 hours after he initially ate the raisins), do you think it would be ok to take him home? I tend to be a bit of an overcautious person, so I might need a reality check and for someone to tell me it would be fine to take him home after only 24 hours of straight IV fluids and not the recommended 48-72.
What do you think? Should I follow through with the full 48-72 hours worth of IV fluids? Or am I ok to take him home after only 24 hours worth?