Originally Posted by Rogue's Mama
I have been doing a lot of research and Schutzhund training seems to be a good fit for my GSD puppy. She is 12 weeks old and I have contacted the local club and will be going out there tonight to check it out. However, now I am facing the challenge of the ridicule from my family such as my father and mother. Their argument to me is that I should not have my dog trained in protection when I have 3 small children. My kids are ages 2,4, and 6. They think it will create a more aggressive dog and that I would higher my chances of my dog turning on someone in the family. I have tried to tell them that this is not true but they are still trying to convince me not to do it. My husband and I are on board for the training but we just want to ask some questions from people who have done the sport so we can try to tell our parents We Got This!
1. Have you ever seen Schutzhund training make a dog more aggressive?
2. Is it something you would recommend for a family dog?
3. In my opinion I would trust my dog more when we have been doing Schutzhund training because she would be better obedience wise or am I just being naive?
1. Nope. If the dog is aggressive after SchH, then dog was aggressive before training.
2. Sure. The better OB alone would be good to have
3. Nope, true statement
Hunter, USA trial helper, Charleston Working Dog Club Training Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v. Sportwaffen, HOT, IPO1, AD, CGC
Katya v. Hügelblick, HOT, IPO2, CGC
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1