German Shepherds Forum banner

Walking is NOT exercise!!

129K views 148 replies 102 participants last post by  germanshepherdlife20 
#1 ·
For a very young puppy, a walk may be enough exercise to tire them out for a few hours.

But for an adolescent dog a walk just won't cut it. Unless you are speed-walking. And then you better go several miles in order to tire out your dog.

If you want a dog that will SLEEP (or at least be calm) while you are at work all day you need to TIRE THEM OUT.

Spend 15 - 20 minutes throwing the ball and having them RUN to get it and bring it back. I'm not talking about throwing it 20 or 30 feet. Get a Chuck it and throw that ball a good 50 - 100 FEET!!

Take the dog for a bike ride (with the proper equipment) and set the pace so they are trotting. Put in a good 20 - 30 minute round trip.

THOSE are ways to tire out your adolescent dog. Walks just aren't enough.

#4 ·
We usually play fetch minutes, after I'm home from work. For my girls (almost 3 yrs), after a short break, go for a bike ride using a walky dog. Ranger can't bike yet so we do some playing with a flirt pole instead.

The walk is in the evening, half with training mixed in and half with "be free". We mix it up sometimes and make adjustments depending on other demands. They usually sleep just fine.

#6 ·
I think it's a little extreme to say it's not exercise. It is, they are moving, expelling energy. I would venture to guess that *most people, don't do more than walk their dogs, maybe play a little light fetch in the back yard, and train obedience when they can, and it works for a lot of people, adolescent dog, puppy, whatever.

Depends on the dog.

#7 ·
I wish we had a yard large enough to use our Chuck-it! We have to go someplace else to do that, so at best ours would get that kind of intense exercise once or twice a week when they were growing up. Fortunately, they adapted well to the lifestyle and level of activity we were able to provide for them. I also do a lot of training and all my dogs have been in numerous classes, so they got plenty of brain stimulation even when they weren't getting enough hard exercise to truly tire their bodies out.

I do agree that a sedate leash walk isn't really sufficient, if that's the only kind of exercise the dog gets. Right now, we're doing lots of hiking with the dogs. My husband is taking one or the other out during the day 2 or 3 times a week for 4-6 miles. I've been taking Keefer out for a 4 mile hike after work one day a week and then taking Halo out for a longer hike on my Fridays off. Each of them is probably getting between 8 and 16 miles a week, on hilly terrain. Halo and I did an 8+ mile hike yesterday, and she was pretty pooped the rest of the day. It was a warm day in the low 80's, and we only had one real rest stop, at the top of a mile long hill, with two short water stops.

And then Halo has flyball practice most Sundays, and a tournament all weekend about once a month. They've always been really calm around the house, even when they weren't getting tons and tons of exercise every single day - good off switches! :thumbup:

Reactions: techinstructor
#9 ·
My 7 (almos 8) months old has no interest in fetching.. we walk at fairly fast pace for an hour in the morning, 30 mins at lunch (if im not busy or on a conference call) and an hour before bed, we also play with the flirt pole for about 15 - 30 mins a day, and we also have puppy play dates several times a week around 3 - 4 nights a week we go play with other dogs for several hours... Im not going to make my girl run next to a bike she is too young for that wont do that till she is 18 - 24 months, and where she has no interest in fetching the only other option is our hour long (multiple times a day) walk. She gets sufficient exercise and she is of very health weight and size.

Reactions: giebel
#106 ·
Just a little funny on fetching.... Our 10 year old Samoyed will not, would not fetch. We started with her when she was a baby, just as we have always done with our GSD's and she just looks at you like, well, go get it. She runs right up to the ball and sits down... or she picks it up and wanders around like how proud she is to have my toy... LOL ....

#10 ·
i take my 3 GSDs and the one I am currently watching for an hour long walk everyday that does tire them out. They sleep fine. It all depends on the dog. My female has tons of energy but long as she walks for that hour shes good.

Reactions: giebel
#12 ·
I think you all are missing the point.

While I agree that it shouldn't go to crazy extremes to tire a dog out a dog needs good exercise, especially young adults. At least every second day they should be able to get to do things instead of going on the daily walk. 15-20 minutes of good exercise is not the end of the world and won't take much time out of your day. A German Shepherd is an active working breed that NEEDS exercise.

There is: Over Exercising, Underexercising and BALANCE!

Most people, posting on this forum, with dogs that have issues, have also under exercised dogs.

#13 ·
I think you all are missing the point.

While I agree that it shouldn't go to crazy extremes to tire a dog out a dog needs good exercise, especially young adults. At least every second day they should be able to get to do things instead of going on the daily walk. 15-20 minutes of good exercise is not the end of the world and won't take much time out of your day. A German Shepherd is an active working breed that NEEDS exercise.

There is: Over Exercising, Underexercising and BALANCE!

Most people, posting on this forum, with dogs that have issues, have also under exercised dogs.
I feel same way. My boy is 20 months old. We do spend a lot of time outside offleash hiking, biking, playing and training. His energy was always high, so to prevent him from misbehaving in house we exercise him. I believe it him freedom in house sooner because of it.

#14 ·
The Chuck It easily overheats dogs, especially in warm weather and at the suggested level Laurie mentioned. I stop WD after 4 or 5 throws with the Chuck It. Biking before 16 - 18 month needs to be limited as well.
Mental exercise combined with moderate physical works best with WD. I can tire him out physically but it won't result in a content dog. But 20 minutes of learning, nose work etc. does a better job.

#57 ·
I totally agree, actually I recently read somewhere that you shouldn't do more than a few minutes of 'explosive' exercise (like throwing a ball, where they sprint, slide/stop) with your dog. I think working their brain is just as important to tire them out.

I think a good walk, throwing the ball for a few minutes and trying to fit in some brain exercises (trick training, obedience, nose work) should be sufficient.

#15 ·
I disagree. Every dog has different exercise requirements for them to have a balanced day. Some dogs may only need a twenty minute walk to be pleasantly tired and others may have to be sprinted for an hour or worked three or four times a day.

Blanket statements and absolutes are dangerous. I'd hate to see someone take in a 12 year old rescue GSD with HD and force him to run every day. Balance, as has been said, is key.

The other 'danger' is creating a more athletic dog. Some dogs tire with exercise, others 'train up' and require more and more and more exercise without ever getting tired.

#18 ·
How about using a little common sense. That doesnt hurt anyone does it? If anyone believes to exercise a 12 yo arthritic dog like a 1 year old, than they have no business owning a dog.

Also, it is onlyna generalization if you make it one. I know exactly how this topic is meant. There is no need to become so defensive. Every dog has a different Energy level, that is common sense too! All that was said is that dogs need more tham just a walk around the block!

#22 ·
Ever heard the saying "a good dog is a tired dog"?

A hike in the woods is also a great way to burn off energy, not only physically but mentally, all those wonderful smells that keep the brain burning:)

I just don't understand all the 'destructiveness, bad manners, wild dogs' that people post about..I have had german shepherds my entire life, high drive, high energy & a couple of couch potatoes. I have never once had any of them destroy my stuff or crazy out of control biting machines, pacers, barkers or obsessive behaviors..

I don't have perfect dogs, but I do thank god for the ones I've had/have after reading some of the stuff people go thru here.

Exercise, mind and body.

**Just want to add, I HATE those chuckits! LOL..My husband accidently whacked my aussie in the eye with one getting ready to 'chuckit',,wasnt pretty:(

#23 ·
While I agree with the first part of your post, I strongly disagree with the second. IME, most people do not know. The destruction their dog causes is blamed on just "being bad" and they do not seem to realize how bored and under-exercised the dog is.
Not to rattle anyone's cage, but I have to say that I agree completely with this statement. Not all of us on the forum have the experience with GSDs that so many of you do. Some of us are like me with a GSD as their very first dog ever and can benefit from the experience that the rest of you share with us.

I did research the breed before choosing a GSD and was aware that they were what I would call a "high maintenance" breed in that they are a lot more than a pillow pal kind of dog, but I honestly didn't know that a lack of quality exercise could contribute to behavior issues. Now I know what to look for and how to gauge if I am the cause of any future issues that Maisey may develop. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen!

#27 ·
I also think the point was missed but I won't read Lauri's mind. It isn't just about the physcial exercise, it's about the amount of quality time you spend with your dog.

For some owners, a 20 min walk once or twice a day is all the physical and mental stimulation they give their dog and the dog is expected to just sit around, look pretty and behave the rest of the night while the tired human zones out.

Had an Aussie today that goes to all day daycare several times a week and has energy to burn. Spent 20 minutes teaching him a couple of tricks this afternoon (with no daycare today) and he went home and passed out. Now, I know his Dads spend quality time with him as well but it's all about the quality.

It doen't necesarrily mean running your dog miles a day as long as owners recognize that zoning out on a 1-3 mile walk is not stimulating mentally or physically.

#28 ·
I also think the point was missed but I won't read Lauri's mind. It isn't just about the physcial exercise, it's about the amount of quality time you spend with your dog.
:thumbup: This is my point-of-view too! It is about being in synch and understanding each other's needs. The only way you get there is to spend a lot of quality time with each other so that you can effectively communicate.... quality time comes in a lot of forms, not just exercise. BUT, exercise and mental stimulation are critically important!

I do a lot with my dog. I enjoy it. But, I do not believe in firm routines and, let's face it, life sometimes dictates that the dog cannot be the center of my attention every day. If you build a good relationship with your dog, based on lots of quality time spent together, this should not be a problem whatsoever... it is their time to understand your needs : )

#31 ·
I have almost $5000 into one knee from a frisbee on wet grass.

It's just a point to be made...top ways to tear an acl is chasing something...ball, frisbee, prey. So if a person is going to tire out their dog by throwing a chuck it 50-100 ft, make sure the grass is dry so they don't slip. Personally, I think this is a terrible way to tire out your dog from my experience. Top speed, sudden stop = high potential for torn acl.

#32 ·
I really didn't want to add to this, but I will. I think the reason there is so much conflict about the OP, is the words Walking is NOT exercise. Walking is exercise, but not enough for a youthful dog. I agree walking alone does not make a tired pup. :)

#33 ·
I don't agree that walks aren't a good form of exercise, but I'll agree with the substance of the post, which I THINK is quality exercise for both mind and body.

I take my almost 2 YO dog out for 5k jogs when I can, and when I can't a 45-1 hr long walk. I use a long line in a quiet neighbourhood, and she gets to sniff the grass and enjoy the outside. That's tiring enough for her to settle when she comes home. I think if Pup walked on perfect loose leash for that amount of time, the exercise wouldn't have been the same since she wouldn't have got to sniff all the great scents.

In short, exercise for mind and body.

Sometimes, I have to kick in another 15-20 minutes of tug/flirt pole/fetch later on in the night if she gets rowdy again.

I think I read somewhere that dogs need 30 minutes of cardio on average. Walking her isn't really cardio for her, but flirt pole and jogging would be.

I think once every week or two, the dog should get a pretty draining day of activity. I try to use a weekend day and take her downtown for a day (stimulating as we go by subway, see alot of people and dogs, and go to new places for her to sniff), go play with a friend at the park for 2-3 hours, or hike. These are draining days, she she's passed out the second we get home and stays relaxed till next day.

In an ideal world, she would be this tired after every day, but I work 10+ hours a day and need "me" time as well, so that just isn't realistic for us.

In general, I've noticed that the rigorous day once in a while helps keep her daily "maintenance" level of exercise down as she does get to burn off the excess energy once in a bit.

Just my thoughts.

#34 ·
Man... some of you guys get off pretty easy. I'm taking my dog out multiple times per day for off leash stuff. I go to an open field and just hit balls around for a good 20-30 minutes. Just went for a 5 mile bike ride a couple hours ago. Took her for a 6 mile walk yesterday. Always practicing obedience. Everyday it's something and we both love it.

If she doesn't get out for a day or two because of weather, she's fine. She'll lay on the couch and won't destroy a thing, but the point is to get out there with your dog/dogs and do something (assuming the dog is healthy and able). They're a working breed and they need to be active. Working and exercising is something they need for their mental health. Diane summed it up perfectly... "a good dog is a tired dog". I completely agree with that.

Some will adapt better than others to a less active life, but I think your doing a disservice to your dog (if you've got an active breed) by just walking for 20 minutes once every day or other day. This is why you see so many overweight and destructive dogs out there these days. They just sleep, eat, eat more, and then sleep more.

#36 ·
For me the safest way to handle the Chuck It is to have the dog wait until the ball is not moving anymore so he won't have to catch up with it and brake from full speed because he already knows where the ball is.
If he is not ready for that off leash he will be on leash until he hears that magic word "Fetch". This works for us so it is only MHO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.