German Shepherds Forum banner

OKAY, all you SchH Snobs!

12K views 137 replies 42 participants last post by  Smithie86 
#1 ·
(And I say that lovingly/joking. Kind of).

We used to have our flyball practices at 9 am every Sunday. Until the ScH snobs decided they didn't want us using it.
They started getting there at 8:30 so we had to find another park to practice at.
This wouldn't bother me, normally (because it WAS their usual park before us), but when they found out we were using it, they started coming for training earlier so we had to relocate.
Not to mention, they're just flat-out rude.

If we show up while they're setting up, they will shoot us dirty looks the whole time. (We would stay there to wait for everyone to get there so we could all collaborate to find another park).

When I was asking my breeder about clubs around here (because when I get my GSD, I REALLY do want to do SchH). She told me she wouldn't recommend any of the SchH clubs out here. (She does PSA).

I've also heard that (in general), they don't like newbies, they don't like people who don't intend on trialing/titling their dogs, they don't care for non-breeders, I've heard some clubs use less-than-ethical training methods to get the dogs titled quicker....
(Mind you, this is all what I've HEARD).

What the heck, guys? I wonder how many others are scared away from trying out the sport just from heresay....
I'm not going to decide if I'll do it or not based on rumors, but I will admit - I'm quite intimidated to go out and see clubs train and talk to them.

(This pertains to the local clubs).

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Heresay is just that...and I always consider the source. I wouldn't make any judgements from others,unless they were actually involved in the particular club(and even then, not sure I'd listen, rather see for myself!)
There is truth in some clubs wanting competitors to be committed....too much time can be wasted when someone is using up valuable club time and not following through on the sports requirements. But newbies are usually welcome if the club can give them the time and be fair to everyone. If there are no newb's the sport will die.
As far as not wanting anyone but breeders in the club? Never see that around my area.
Less than ethical methods is subjective....what one person views as compulsion another sees as the way to keep their dog in line because some of the dogs need a bit of pressure to learn control.

Too bad that group acted that way, not a great representation for the sport for sure. I probably would have gone over and introduced myself(especially if I was interested in IPO for the future).

Many times people setting up are just going about their business with intensity, and they may look like they are PO'd but in reality just stressed because of time constraints.

#85 ·
There is truth in some clubs wanting competitors to be committed....too much time can be wasted when someone is using up valuable club time and not following through on the sports requirements.
Hmmmm (he said).

I am getting my 1st GSD in a few weeks, but I have been involved in the Labrador Retriever world for the last 25+ years. Including being president of my local club (that hosted AKC field trails, hunt tests and HRC hunt tests). Which is to say - I know just a little something about "club dynamics". Both the good and the ugly... :laugh:

I'm not disputing your (onyx'girl) claim that this attitude might be true in that club (and yes, I know you were speculating and not stating fact). I've seen it in some other clubs in my area.

But it's a really, REALLY short sighted view for a club to take.

First, I think back to when I got my first lab. I joined the local retriever club NOT wanting to "get titles" or "become a breeder" - but because I saw it as a way I could better train my retriever to be a better hunting companion. Getting titles on my dogs and eventually breeding came later (much later).

Does these SCH clubs not see that training for SCH skills is beneficial for the dog/owner in it's own right? Even if that person never enters an event or breeds their dog? A person with that "commitment" is something that takes time to develop - virtually nobody starts out that way from day 1.

Secondly, running a club takes manpower. Over time, people get older, loose interest, and burn out (I eventually burned out of the retriever games). That means clubs are always in need of an infusion of "new blood". If they are only seeking those people who are "committed to be a competitor", do they not realize that their club will eventually die out?

So I guess what I'm saying is that I object to your phrase "wasting the club's time"....

#3 ·
It's probably just that club, some clubs do it differently than others. If there are other clubs in the area shoot them an email and see how open they are to newcomers.

We have a 9 week old puppy and I emailed one in my area to ask if she could come observe and they were really excited about it! They didn't even ask what breed she was or if I wanted to be serious about it, so nice groups are out there somewhere.

Sounds like you just have a group of jerks in your area. :(

Good luck, I would try not to let one group's treatment of you guys sour your experience, but I would totally be feeling the same way.

#5 ·
I'm definitely not going to make a decision based on rumors and heresay, but my 'source' (we'll call her) has trained with the club that takes the park.

And it's not just them setting up and shooting us dirty looks - several of our teammates have attempted conversation, but they wouldn't even acknowledge their existence.

It just kinda sucks, because even though it is heresay, it still makes it more intimidating and is a put-off. Kills the excitement of wanting to try out the sport....

#6 ·
They weren't inviting by me either. I got there early and they ignored me for a long time. They talked to me enough to tell me that my dog didn't look like she would do well in the sport..blah blah blah. So I sat there for about 3 hours listening to their conversations and waiting my turn. Well, they were surprised at my dog and what she was able to do. I was invited to come back and continue but I decided against it. I think deep down that I wanted to prove my dog could do it, but as a group, they weren't what I was looking for. So on to agility we went and we are happy with that set of people.

#7 ·
I think that's an isolated issue with that specific club. Every club I have trained with has been wonderful.

#8 ·
I've heard bad things about several clubs around here.... The park snots are the first ones I've actually had any sort of contact with.
I'm hoping all the rumors I've heard about the other clubs are just that - rumors.

#10 ·
Sometimes club members aren't real warm with visitors. I think it is the fact that they are testing their mettle or something. I've been to more than a few where people are not outgoing or friendly. Unless they know you or your dog or your dogs breeder, you are invisible. But going back again and again will bring some respect. Shows you aren't deterred by the cold shoulder!
I've always made it a point to be accomodating to visitors wherever I train because I know the feeling going in alone without knowing anyone.

#13 ·
This is the very reason I've decided not to try for this sport... I can't deal with uppity people especially when he comes to a DOG SPORT. I'm also a really timid person with people, I don't think I have what it takes to handle people being jerk holes because they think they're better than me. PLUS I have a German show/working line cross... I love my dog with every fiber of my being. I could handle him having faults but I would be damned to have someone insulting my dog because he is not some full working line sable. I wouldn't be able to handle my anger towards them and would probably get kicked out. :D

I'm sure there are some AWESOME clubs out there, not saying they are all like that. I just don't think it's a sport for me.

#19 ·
I can't deal with uppity people especially when he comes to a DOG SPORT. I'm also a really timid person with people, I don't think I have what it takes to handle people being jerk holes because they think they're better than me. PLUS I have a German show/working line cross... I love my dog with every fiber of my being. I could handle him having faults but I would be damned to have someone insulting my dog because he is not some full working line sable.
I wouldn't be able to handle my anger towards them and would probably get kicked out
I am not one to start a spitting match, but really CarrieSue, your post sounds extremely judgemental. If your opinion is based on a couple people in one club, then whatever, but don't judge the DOG SPORT crowd from one experience.

#22 ·
I am not one to start a spitting match, but really CarrieSue, your post sounds extremely judgemental. If your opinion is based on a couple people in one club, then whatever, but don't judge the DOG SPORT crowd from one experience.
The club near me doesn't even mind what breed participates, let alone what line of gsd... I agree, it's not really a good idea to judge everyone in the sport all at once :(.

#20 ·
i like the sentiments that phrase conjures up, i will incorporate it into my repetoire with yr permission, is it original, like did you make it up yrself??

thanks for giving me a new word that says so much, so accurately without actually being blatantly offensive.

cool

#21 ·
onyx girl - unfortunately none of us get to meet every people so when one's repeated experience is negative it only follows that folks generalise, why don't the "holier than thou sports people" acknowledge the problems they create instead of just saying its all the newbs problem - wouldn't that be something novel, some actual leadership instead of frantic, jealous, guardy people that the newbs are most likely meet before they ever get near the truly great ones in the sport.

same story, same sport.

#23 ·
I don't even understand what you're trying to get across in this post...There are plenty of "dog sport people" without these "holier than thou" attitudes you are referring to, but if you stop looking for a club of people where you would fit, then you aren't going to find them.

Honestly, I find the fact that you referred to us "sports people" as frantic, jealous, and guardy pretty offensive. But what would I know..

#25 ·
I have been to several clubs in my area (probably at least 5 or 6 now) and only 1 club made me feel not welcomed - and it was the oldest club out of them all!). I think you should at least give them a try and make your own conclusions.

If not, find another club. ;)

#26 ·
I think this thread started on a bad note and it's just getting worse

#28 ·
As a society, we are too quick to make judgements based on what others have experienced. Every individual will have a different experience then the other, if you go into a situation with a preconceived notion that they are "uppity snobs" you will most likely be on the lookout for these behaviors.

Put the heresay out of your mind and go see for yourself.

I was so intimated to go to my first training session with my club because of some of the experiences I had read on here, I don't have a working dog heck she doesn't even have a pedigree but they asked me after obedience class one night if I wanted to come train. Had I went into my first session with a clouded judgement, I would have really missed out. Everything is what you make of it, even the most guarded person will let their barriers down once you've shown you're willing to put 110% of yourself into what you're doing. I think that's the problem with a lot of these "snobby" clubs someone calls wants to train, thinks the sport is cool, doesn't understand the time and commitment placed into training a dog. Once they realize how much work it is, they show up every so often and use resources that could be put to better use by someone who is serious. Just my opinion.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#29 ·
Thanks OP, the thread almost made me chuckle. You can, certainly, replace the "SchH" in "SchH snobs" with almost anything in life.

For any schutzhund club that is worth anything. (i.e. in the case of members titling dogs as main priority), I find surviving members to have all or some of the following characteristics:

- Recognizes self-ignorance
- Recognizes that there are people who are much better
- Seeks knowledge and understanding
- Seeks improvement
- Competitive

Unfortunately, most that quit or lose interest, seem to lack those qualities. Now this isn't the case for all clubs. There are some clubs that lose sight of a schutzhund club's purpose; their existence is evident by the lack of progress for its members. "Training" days mostly consisting of sitting down to gossip about this thing or that thing, or things unrelated, while feeling content for having done some kind of thing that resembles training, is just enough for those kinds to identify themselves as a "schutzhund club." Those kinds might (or might not) be better for the faint of heart.

#31 ·
I'm sorry, you're right... I'm not trying to judge the sport as a whole. It's mainly my fears of what it COULD be. I would love to be involved in something with my dog. What I was trying to say and got across rather poorly is I don't think I could handle that type of environment, if people were cold to me it would hurt my feelings and I would feel like I wasn't wanted there and it would probably affect my performance. It would probably also hinder me in bothering to try other clubs. So that's my reasoning why I don't think it's the right sport for me.

But I'm sorry if I offended anyone and I'm not trying to bash the sport. I just got frustrated with wanting to do something with my dog but feeling like I don't fit anywhere, next time I'll wait until I cool down before I post something. :) I try to never post in a negative way on this forum, I don't want to contribute to that so again I apologize.

#32 ·
No worries....:) I guess you'd be considered higher in defense temperament wise? LOL

#33 ·
I have not had this problem... The one and only club near me (which is an hour away) and I have been going to this club for 3 weeks now... They are very welcoming, and supportive. :)

#34 ·
I think some of you are interpreting what you perceive to be a cold shoulder the wrong way. I think that many people are very serious and dedicate a lot of time to training and working their dogs towards their goals and at training its all business. I see how it could be off putting to the new comers but think about the people that are there training week end and week out plus are training on their own every day. When they go to the club to train many times they are there to work through problems that they cannot fix on their own and are kind of in the "zone" mentally.

#36 ·
Gotta agree with this one. I go to club to work my dog. I save the chit chat for after training.

I cannot count the number of times through the years new folks come and once they figure out how much work is involved they ride off into the sunset. After a while it gets very old so I'm not going to apologize if people aren't automatically on my Xmas card list after the first time they visit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.