Originally Posted by rapala
I am new to this forum and a first time GSD owner. I got Caesar a week ago and he is almost 3 months old born on 14 December 2012 and weighs 11.50 Kgs (25.30 Pounds). He is amazing and I am already so attached to him and I hope I can receive proper guidance from you experienced folks, would be very grateful.
1. I read about feeding a RAW dietů Does that mean boiling the meat or actually giving it raw meat to eat? Is this good or bad?
2. I am currently giving him Royal Canine Junior kibble in the morning afternoon and evening which he is not so keen on eating but then Tinned food (Meat, liver etc) in the night which he loves. If I mix the tinned food with the kibble he eats both.
Can you please advise me on what I am doing wrong or if this is ok? Should I change his diet?
3. He always does his business outside when I am home but otherwise on some occasions urinates inside the house which should be in control within a few weeks as I walk him out every chance I get.
4. How young do they have to be to start humping? Caesar is almost 3 months and I was so surprised to see him get onto my leg which he stopped after I shouted then later that night on a pillow.. Is this normal at such a young age?
5. He itches in one spot he has had his deworming medication along with his vaccines but could this be because of his diet? He is always chewing on the plants and eating grass in the garden is this normal?
PLEASE PLEASE HELP.. even short answers will help me sort out these issues.
Hope to stick around and be part of this group for a long time.
1. It's frozen and thawed raw. There's an excellent forum on it here.
2. I know lots of people who add wet food to dry food. Gus stopped eating the food he was originally on, and I switched, but that doesn't mean you have to. I am no expert on food.
3. All dogs are different. He may just need a little more time for being house trained, or possibly can't hold it long enough when you're gone. Just don't discipline after the fact. If it happens while you're gone, clean it and take the pup outside. If you catch him doing it clap or yell something like 'AHH AHHH" and immediately take him outside.
4. I am not sure, as Gus has never humped, unless it's a dominance thing.
5. He could maybe have allergies. I'd ask a vet.
Hope this helps a little bit. Welcome to the board, and hope to see some pictures of your puppy!