German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Having A Real Bad Time With My Minnie Australian Shepherd and GSD
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 12:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
whorneff310

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone Ranger View Post
You do not want to risk injury or intimidation on your new puppy.... I would do very slow socialization like I did with my older dogs.. About like this to be safe:

I have two older GSDs one Alpha Male sort, one Bitch, 10 and seven years old... I kept them apart from the puppy, through the hog wire fence. After a week, they were licking socialization and acceptance.. I reprimanded any growling or grudging behavior..

First week, no real contact, through the fence contact only... This progressed until they gaurdedly accepted him, and would lick through the fence in recognition..

Second week, I guardedly started to let them out on walks, but kept the puppy on a lead and kept them back a bit..

Third week, puppy off the lead as long as they were fenced off, and they readily accept him... With the pup on a lead, now we all go on walks together...

Fourth week, they accept and play with the puppy kept on a lead. At 14 weeks now, they play with pup a bit. So they don't run past at speed and dump puppy over, pup will stay on a lead with them until one year old and bones harden up. After this month, he is one of the Pack, a junior member.

I hope this is a help...
Yes that helps a ton. I was worried that they might never get along. I will be sure to keep them separate and gradually introduce them. I am going to use the same time table you did. That was extremely helpful. Thanks so much

Wil
whorneff310 is offline   Reply With Quote