German Shepherds Forum banner

Testing the boundaries

815 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  zivagirl 
#1 ·
It was a day where suddenly, she can't seem to recall a single thing I have taught her.

Cats=fast food
Other dogs=threat
Sit/Down/Stay=a suggestion
Leave It=forgeddabouddit

Today was a day where I found myself having to gruffly assert my position-and to remind her what HER place is.

Just...not a great day.

#2 ·
A "backwards" training day as I read on another post. But in your case, congrats - she is settling in since you have only had her just less than a month. She is starting to relax and does not need to feel to have to be on her best behavior or you won't keep her. You may to ease up a bit, take a training break - go for easy walks, letting her sniff, play with her.

#3 ·
Thanks, Mary Beth. Never looked at it that way. We did get a lot of play in, today. Ball, jumping (she LOVES jumping), walking, hide and seek.

We have a Grand Cherokee that she has struggled to jump into until today. After a close-up attempt, we turned around and trid a running start. She almost sailed into the rear seat.

She gets this look on her face when she does something new.

#4 ·
That's great! You have found ways to play with her. She is a young dog and still in her adolscence which makes for up and down training days. Yes, a running start helps. My Sting was never a jumper - he will even go around a fallen log on the trail, my Aussie was the same way. My Aussie also went in the back seat. I have an Explorer and the back seat is his (I have a seat cover and also towels on the floor and the seat) - I do put the front seat back forward first. And he steps first on the floor and then up onto the seat. Thinking ahead to when your dog is older or if she should get really tired out from a walk, you may want to get one of those steps or a ramp if you want her to go in the cargo area. My concern would be the stress on her hips because other than just not knowing how to do it, if she needs that running start, and if your other dogs didn't - then I would consider back seat or ramp or step that attaches to the back end where a trailer hitch goes. I would also start her on Omega 3, if you haven't done so already. I gave my Sting that from 6 months on and also K9 Arthroflex which is also a joint supplement. It is better to start these early to prevent problems, rather than to wait until there are problems. She does sound like a lovely dog and she is lucky to have found a home with you.

#5 ·
Sounds like the 'honeymoon phase' is over! That's not a bad thing, though! I've taken in a few rescues (dogs and parrots) and when you start seeing an animal being not so well behaved in that circumstance, it is a sign that they're secure enough to 'let down their hair' so to speak. So I'd say you're on the right track!! :D

#6 ·
Thanks, Jag. My mantra has always been 'New days bring new opportunities...'

And today, Beth seems to have cooled her jets just a tad. Got her a new, raw bone. She'd been two days without something to occupy her down time, which could also account for her attention getting behavior.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.