German Shepherds Forum banner

Come Around-why does she do this?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  zivagirl 
#1 ·
Because she's already had several owners, there really is no telling what she learned or where, which makes our training sessions pretty interesting.

We'll be walking and while Beth does a fairly good, loose heel, she will sometimes drift off a bit. I began to notice that when I snap the leash to bring her in, she'll often cross, then go around me to resume the proper heel position. I have been trying to correct her, but it is stuck in her head.

She does this most when she gets a bit ahead of me. Do you suppose someone has taught her at some point to 'come around'?

#3 ·
Sounds like a finish that was added to a command, but GSD's are also good for circling their loved ones too:D

#6 ·
I wear a pouch and always have bacon treats available. Se also likes dehydrated sweet potato.

I treat for the positive, and correct with ah-ah, or snap her leash. She is far easier to handle than I'd anticipated. Well....except in the presence of cats.

#5 ·
I think I'll go ahead and let her 'keep' this training/habit. Zeeva, I have to do what you do. I
I'll add 'come' when she does it as this is precisely how I want her to respond to that command.

#7 ·
My dog does this. I think I imprinted it, though. When he was young I would do the "be a tree" technique to teach no pull. Every time, he would be all the way out on the left, then go in a BIG ARC the length of the 6' lead back to my right side, I would tap my left, he'd go behind my legs, and we'd keep walking. Yeah, it's funny to watch.

If we are doing proper heeling, I can get him to slow down on the left and back to my leg, proper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.