German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Duke's first hike! :)
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
TrickyShepherd
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
Awesome pics, looks like a beautiful place to hike, and he's adorable all decked out in his gear!

I'd be careful about putting much weight in that pack, the Outward Hound packs sits pretty far back on the dog. The Ruffwear packs are all designed to carry the weight over the shoulders, not the back, which is safer for the dog. For shorter hikes, where he's not carrying much weight it shouldn't be a big deal though.
Thank you! He doesn't mind the gear... seems he knows they help him! Much better then my old golden retriever.. she used to fight it ALL the time. She loved hiking but we always had to take 15 minutes to have tantrums about the gear... then she was fine. Until you reminder her it was on again! lol! Luckily, she was also very agile and light footed... so we very rarely had injuries even without any boots.

And yeah it's not designed the best, that's why we got the size smaller then it recommended. This sits on their shoulders more then anywhere else. His weight would be recommended as x-large, I have the medium. It sits nicely for a cheaper backpack. We also only carry about 5lbs on the dogs. They have it easy.
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
TrickyShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote