German Shepherds Forum banner

My dog and I don't understand the kong

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  WolfieWolf 
#1 ·
I got him a "Planet Dog/Orbee" eggplant -- a very rubbery toy that looks like an eggplant, and is the same shape as a kong but works better for him, so we use that as he doesn't care much about kongs.

So, anyway, if I put anything in the eggplant or the kong that doesn't dribble out easily, he loses interest immediately and won't even go back to it. I guess that is just him, I see other GSDs who aren't that into kongs.

But what I don't understand is where past threads talk about filling it with PB, wet dogfood, cream cheese... I don't understand how he is supposed to get that out of there? Maybe the one I have is too small because I don't see him trying to put his tongue in there when I put a cookie in that's too big to just fall out...

I wanted to say something about PB. Lots of people were talking about salt in the PB, or getting it without much sugar, and I just wanted to say there are several PBs that have no salt or sugar, nothing but peanuts. Smucker's/Laura Scudders has one, Krema, and places like Whole Foods have fresh ground (just make sure it's regular peanuts, sometimes they use spiced up ones.) Just had to say that! :)

#4 ·
I've had dogs who were not that interested in Kongs, and some that like them but only if there's something in them. With Cassidy, if it was too easy to get the goodies out it only entertained her for a few minutes, and when it was empty she didn't care about it anymore. If it's too hard to get the stuff out some dogs will just give up.

Keefer and Halo like Kongs if I put a smear of peanut butter on the inside (I don't actually "fill" it), but don't go out of their way to play with them. Both of them would much rather chew on an Orbee ball - they have what seems to be an irresistible squishiness to them.

#5 ·
Oh good, -- glad I'm not the only one. After he is done with a marrow bone I'll clean it off and stuff it with PB or cream cheese, and he likes to get that out. He really likes a bone, sometimes he will bat it around and stalk it like they it's a live animal, jumping up in the air and pouncing on it. It is hilarious and adorable, he is such a nut.

I like the idea of PB on a plate (or in something) while nails are being done.

Cassidy's mom, you are right, those orbee balls (and the other toys) are fascinatingly rubbery and squishy, and so far indestructible.

#6 ·
Lucky is not a fan of the Kong or the food puzzles. He will chase a kong all day and apparently loves its bouce but to try to get something out just doesnt work w/ him.

#8 ·
My two love their kongs. I pretty much make this nasty mixture of peanut butter, bananas and kibble with various little treats thrown in, stick it in the freezer for a couple hours and let them have at it. Keeps them busy for a couple hours. One of my fosters a couple years ago wanted absolutely nothing to do with a kong. It just depends on the dog i guess.

#9 ·
KZoppa, Buck would probably love that mixture, but HOW do your dogs get it out of the kong? This is what we apparently don't understand. Maybe I can help him if I know... he does like getting little pieces that fall out. I'd love it if he could be intensely occupied with a kong or his "eggplant" for a hour or so!

#10 ·
it says for chewers. but all my dog does is lick at the cheese or pb on the inside. then he'll stand up and keep dropping it on the floor, over and over and over, in hopes that something else bounces out.
sometimes i stick frozen veggies or meat inside and seal it up with pb or cheese, let it freeze over, he likes that. otherwise he ignores it. i also stuff marrow bones, but those are easier for him to clean out than the kongs.

#11 ·
Aha! so that is what they do. I see, thanks jae! Maybe if I filled it with something really succulent like PB he would do it, I'll give it a try.

I stuff marrow bones too after he's cleaned them out. It doesn't take him very long to get the PB or cream cheese out though. At this time the marrow bone is his favorite and keeps him occupied the longest, and he gets a new one every couple days.

OK, off I go to stuff a kong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.