German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Recommendations for Dog Training besides PetSmart in Southern California
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
ImJaxon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjnitsche View Post
I'm in Texas so I can't recommend a trainer in CA, but ask around. Ask your vet, neighbors, etc.

The first trainer I went to was recommended by our vet. She was a very nice lady but a horrible trainer. I went to only 2 classes with her.

Then I spent quite a bit of time doing internet searches for trainers in a 3 county area. I found one who I am thrilled with in the next county. So I have a longer drive, but it is so worth it. She has been training for a while, she also trains and shows her dogs in agility (which I want to do). Her & her partners have a fairly large building. They also do grooming, boarding, and doggy day care. Mine goes twice a week to get the additional socialization. There is also another GSD in our training class, which is nice.

So finding a trainer on the internet is not necessarily bad, but if they aren't what you are looking for then walk away and try another.

Great, this is helpful. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyanna View Post
How far from Orange County are you? I train with Harvey Allen and recommend him. PM if you want his contact info.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
About an hour away. Thank you! These are good suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's Dad View Post
Anne at adlerstein. She is in Saugus but it would be worth the drive to get a good foundation. It would be hard to find anyone who knows more about German Shepherds. I hope I'm not aging her but she has about 30 + yrs. experience. Breeding, training, schutzhund, etc...
We're about and hour away also. We were told that our dog can't do Schutzhund unless he starts at 8 weeks old. We hope this isn't true. I want to be able to do some of that with him. I'm not that concerned if he competes or wins awards, I just think it makes them happy to work, and I want him to be a happy guy.

ImJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote