German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Recommendations for Dog Training besides PetSmart in Southern California
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Originally Posted by mjnitsche View Post
I'm in Texas so I can't recommend a trainer in CA, but ask around. Ask your vet, neighbors, etc.

The first trainer I went to was recommended by our vet. She was a very nice lady but a horrible trainer. I went to only 2 classes with her.

Then I spent quite a bit of time doing internet searches for trainers in a 3 county area. I found one who I am thrilled with in the next county. So I have a longer drive, but it is so worth it. She has been training for a while, she also trains and shows her dogs in agility (which I want to do). Her & her partners have a fairly large building. They also do grooming, boarding, and doggy day care. Mine goes twice a week to get the additional socialization. There is also another GSD in our training class, which is nice.

So finding a trainer on the internet is not necessarily bad, but if they aren't what you are looking for then walk away and try another.

Great, this is helpful. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Cheyanna View Post
How far from Orange County are you? I train with Harvey Allen and recommend him. PM if you want his contact info.

Sent from Free App
About an hour away. Thank you! These are good suggestions.

Originally Posted by Jack's Dad View Post
Anne at adlerstein. She is in Saugus but it would be worth the drive to get a good foundation. It would be hard to find anyone who knows more about German Shepherds. I hope I'm not aging her but she has about 30 + yrs. experience. Breeding, training, schutzhund, etc...
We're about and hour away also. We were told that our dog can't do Schutzhund unless he starts at 8 weeks old. We hope this isn't true. I want to be able to do some of that with him. I'm not that concerned if he competes or wins awards, I just think it makes them happy to work, and I want him to be a happy guy.
Jaxon Von Sharksalot
AKA Isteel Shues
AKA Chueson Allaurstouf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ImJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote