German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Stubborn Basko - HELP!!!
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 11:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Basko's Mama

Default Stubborn Basko - HELP!!!

I have a 9 month old Male GSD by the name of Basko. Not that it matters but he was born on April 1st (April Fool's Day), sometimes his actions do make me wonder though. I am having some major issues with him not listening. He has chosen me as the Dominant in household yet is so stubborn. He is scared to death of my husband and pees when my husband talks to him. He does listen to my husband to an extent, but he has to be very stern and even then, Basko will "test" him. I do have a habit of "babying" him just a little because I lost my son and give all my love now to Basko. He is amazingly smart and loveable, but is so stubborn.

We recently added a cat to our house as well. Basko gets so caught up in the cat, that makes him not listen even more. He is a very big dog, pushing 100 pounds already and it is hard to get his attention. It's like he has ADD. He does not hurt the kitten at all, he just wants to play with it, but when doing so, he pays no attention to anyone. I've tried putting him in his kennel, but don't want to use that as discipline. I also hit my sofa with a flyswatter because my vet suggested a loud noise to distract him. Once, again this does not phase my Basko.

I am in need of any kind of advice and or techniques that will get his attention without making him mean or scared. I have considered obedience training, but would like to save the money and do something myself.
Basko's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote