German Shepherds Forum banner

I was told this

1K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Mr. Aero 
#1 ·
Night before last at a major home improvement chain one of my daughters and I were walking the isles and here came a fellow with a cute little dog on a leash.

I happened to say to the employee, "the ___________ in our area has a sign on the door that says "Service Dogs Only" you guys allow all dogs inside?

His reply, "you should call the HR department we have been told that anything except rockwilers and dobermans and stuff are ok" (yeah I know, but he said rockwilers so I wrote rockwilers)

Checked both sets of double doors leaving, and sure enough no sign at all on their store. Now I'm wondering why one of if not the largest of these type stores would have 2 different policies on dog entry.

#2 ·
It must be possible because I hear of people bringing dogs to Lowes and Home Depot all the time and they are not allowed here (except SDs of course). I took my dog to Home Depot once but we were in therapy dog training and doing a program which used the store (so *only* dogs in our class were allowed in the store and only during that training class....we made a similar visit to a county hospital).

#3 ·
Some stores even corporate owned can often set their own policy regarding dogs allowed in the store. It would depend on the store manager in a lot of cases.

#4 ·
I get mixed messages from the HD near my home. I've seen many dogs in the store of all sizes. There is a sign on the door that says, "no dogs". So about two months ago I brought my GSD in. As I approached the store I saw two dogs leaving. While I was in the store an employee stopped me and said dogs are not allowed in the store anymore. I felt like he was really saying, no GSDs are allowed in the store.

#7 ·
So I just called my local Home Depot and I asked if I had to run in if I could bring my dog in. The answer was well if its a service dog or for health reasons. I continued to say well some do allow dogs, so I was just trying to see if you did to. She says to me what kind of dog do you have? I say a GSD, she says..Oh thats a big dog, we don't have a dog's allowed policy...So there we have it:(

#8 ·
From the perspective of the store owner, it is probably a liability to have a dog in the store. It doesn't surprise me that they would say no to a big GSD vs. a smaller dog. I don't agree with it, but generally a small dog would be less of a 'threat'. I think we all have a pretty good handle on our GSDs, but some people are, well, not equipped to handle large animals, and I can see why bigger dogs would be discriminated against- especially the ones with a bad reputation.

#9 ·
I'm all in favor of being able to take my dogs in a store and I do take them in the Lowes that is by our house when I have to get something there.

That being said, people who are afraid of dogs wouldn't expect to find them at a home improvement store. I can see why store say No Dogs.

If I had my guys there and another shopper was afraid, I would take them out right away.

Now if I'm in a PET store - my dogs ARE allowed there and if someone who is afraid of dogs comes into the pet store they should EXPECT to find dogs. I would not leave.

#10 ·
I think if there is a no dog policy, except service dogs, then well there should not be any dogs at all in the store. I tend to follow rules and regulations. If a store allowed some dogs in but not others GSD I would contact the regional manager and the city. I don't think they can have a "some dogs" policy at the manager on duty's discretion...or can they.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.