German Shepherds Forum banner

carmspack BUFFY - Badge on My Collar - breeding for wor

12K views 52 replies 26 participants last post by  gsdsar 
#1 · (Edited)
I did not know where to place this or what to call this thread . Easily I could have placed it in genetic obedience, breeding for work, herding - so Buffy it is because she is the subject of this discussion.

Yesterday was quite the day . I sent a dog that I was thrilled with to Orlando to meet with his new owner , a Veteran of Afghanistan who needed a Service dog . The dog was selected by myself against a set of requirements that I was very familiar with . The dog will be trained and certified by a person well qualified by experience and education, meeting stiff standards of the association he is certified by. By sheer co-incidence the recipient had been a K9 handler himself, and was familiar with "Gore" (Thor) and some other dogs that are in PSD use in Oregon, Washington State, Ohio etc. That the dog was related to the well loved Gore was a bonus. I was sad to see York go , but I am super happy that a persons life will improve .

So I come home , check my emails and my heart gets another tug. An email making contact letting me know of a female dog that I had lost all knowledge of , no contacts, no updates.
This female orginally went to another home -- one of Toronto's most prestigious very wealthy enclaves . They hired a k9 trainer/handler to be their personal trainer . That much I knew .
What I did not know is that somehow this dog entered "dogs available for work" and this is where the story begins .

In the email the person introduced himself and said he had this amazing female who recently retired from service -- and would I have anything related to her now or in the future .
Her sire was Carmspack LeRoy and her dam was Carmspack Anouscha.
WOW . here are some words on LeRoy
-------------------
Start off with this from another thread as a re-cap " love the Maineiche blood that I introduced into my program through Dix -- carmspack leroy - German Shepherd Dog
That male , LeRoy was trained off lead , highly highly biddable , normal conversational tone , praise - no clicker , treating bag of tricks, natural desire to work and to comply -- sweet teddy bear of a dog - everyone loved him -- great looks and conformation . No bad behaviour barking , spinning , digging. Mr Cool when not working.
Totally reliable and dependable. Would take him out to the mondio club and would heel him behind a circle of ring agitation , total self control -- it did not involve him or me and so he minded his own business . We did it off lead .
We did three man agitation with props and things flying , he never shirked going in there and knew which fire to put out first .
Seconds later he would be in the parking lot where my 3 year old granddaughter was playing with her baby friends, children of other club members. He would lick the sweaty chubby arms of the baby in the stroller. He adored children and tolerated nose tweaking.

God I miss that dog --- and Kilo --- same thing (but not Maineiche). The mission was to keep adding depth to old working herding lines which Maineiche conserved.

I do have a dog that is very similar -- Kilo looks , LeRoy character -- long coat bi colour -- will have to x ray him soon for his certification --
His sire Cubby was a narcotic dog working in the school system - same thing rock solid , great in the chaos of young kids being young kids -- representing MATHIAS the long coat bicolour with the pedigree of his brothe Stark who was a certified dual police service dog with Buffalo PD at just over one year of age Carmspack Stark - German Shepherd Dog"

--------- LeRoy's sister was Cinders a narcotic dog with Maricopa County Sheriff's dept. LeRoys brother was a police dog --

Buffy's brother Nash became a PSD .

so I find out that Buffy served in the Capitol Buildings of Washington DC --- bomb dog - renowned for her meticulous attention to detail. She was a "cover" girl , she is the subject in a book --- she was called the Canadian show girl but she is not show lines .

I do have another female working in the same calling -- bomb dog .
Presenting Carmspack Buffy -- featured in the book Badge on my Collar . I had that feeling of instant connection seeing her pictures in the book - -- lump in throad, eyes welling up (seriously) . Here is an excerpt from the book Badge on My Collar II: To Serve With Honor - Marilyn Jeffers Walton - Google Books

See less See more
#31 ·
Samba -- (hope all is well with the grand old girl "Samba") have a look.

Buffy and your Samba are half-sisters , same sire different dams . Samba is Carmspack Samba Buffy is Carmspack Nash (represented by her brother Nash)

here is Samba
Got some pictures of Samba. Guess if you are 12 you can stick your tongue out at the camera!

Very alike - these two !

#37 · (Edited)
I do have a dog that is very similar -- Kilo looks , LeRoy character -- long coat bi colour -- will have to x ray him soon for his certification --
His sire Cubby was a narcotic dog working in the school system - same thing rock solid , great in the chaos of young kids being young kids -- representing MATHIAS the long coat bicolour with the pedigree of his brother
Kilo looks and LeRoy character. :wild:
Seriously, in the future, when Hans is old enough, I would love to have a dog like that. :wub:If you love bicolors as I do, it doesn't get any better than this:

#41 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone,
It is with great sadness and a heavy heart that I tell you of K9 Buffy's passing. Her last day in this world with me was Thursday, September 19th. She was a loving dog, a great friend, and a wonderful partner. She helped make me the handler I am today. Hopefully, reading her story you got to understand her just a little bit.
Carmen, I hope you are reading this and I can have a dog from her line someday. I also hope that her and I will be reunited in the next life. It was a pleasure to have her brighten my days. I was also honored...honored, to be HER partner. God Bless!

#44 ·
Thank you. She was born in Oct 2001 and was my partner for 7 years and after she retired was with me for three. Cops are supposed to be tough, but I am having such a hard time coping. Its been an emotional roller coaster. But, she had a solid almost twelve years and seriously gave me such joy for ten. I don't think I can ever say I'll move on, get over her, get passed her, cause that would sound as if I don't care. I'll just have to continue. Sorry for the rant.

#46 ·
I am so sorry you are feeling so heartbroken. Rest assured she will be waiting for you.

Freestep is right....you will hurt and grieve and so very slowly you will be able to remember all the good times you had with her without it hurting so much.

#49 ·
I'm very sorry for your loss :(

#50 ·
I am so sorry for your loss of Buffy. Reading her story last year and then seeing her pictures was great chance to meet through words that beautiful girl that did so much. Run free Buffy run free.

#51 ·
Thank you all for your kind words. I had Buffy's paw print tattooed to my left calf. She was by my side and always will be. While I am years away from another K9, Carmen, I hope you have Leroy's lines still going as I will want one.

#53 ·
I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a trusted partner and friend is devastating. Best wishes to you and your family in this difficult time. You will see her again.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.