German Shepherds Forum banner

Fynn! Six months after rescue!

4K views 28 replies 28 participants last post by  Myah's Mom 
#1 ·
Well, it's officially been six months since I rescued my amazing 3 year old GSD. I heard of a GSD in bad shape and, needing home from a friend. I decided on a whim to drive an hour away just to check it out. I was moving a couple weeks later and, wasn't really prepared to take on a dog much less a giant GSD. Still, I just jumped in my car and, headed over.
He was skin and bones, less than that really. He had abrasions every where from being locked in a small kennel (not even a tray in the bottom) and, had only concrete for comfort. His head hung low and, he had no energy. You could literally see the emptiness in his eyes. His nails were broken and splintered and, his health had just deteriorated. He shed so much. I know all gsd are bad but, not like this. The moment I saw him I decided no matter what, he'd be coming home with me.
They had no supplies for him, no bowls, no leash, no food, no toys or blankets- nothing.
I got him into my car and, took him right to the store. I bought him healthy good food. I prayed it wouldn't make him sick because as far as I could tell he only got scraps and, that was if he was lucky. I bought a million things for him, not caring if he ended up not being interested in some of it.
He paced around and whined for days. He slept on the couch but, if I sat next to him he'd move over to another couch. I could pet him but, he didn't really care for it. He was scared to eat his food and, I had to coax him into it for days.
He wasn't in anyway affectionate and, did everything he could to keep his distance. I couldn't wash him or groom him which he needed so badly. I had never had a gsd and certainly wasn't ready to upset a large one. So I waited. I sat on the floor constantly inching closer, took him on a million long walks, just anything I could to socialize with him. I remember thinking, "I am fully committed to a dog that doesn't like me. But when I move eight hours away in a couple weeks and, into a house with my boyfriend, how do I explain I rescued a dog that's been so beaten down he isn't interested in people? How do we love him and, not just care for him?"
A week later, he was eating regularly and, getting slightly excited about walks. Another week passed and, I was able to brush him, pet him and, sit with him. Then we packed up and road tripped to our new home.
Once settled in (and, excited about having a kitten to chase) Fynn blossomed. As he got healthier, he became...grateful. Grattitude turned into happiness and, happiness turned into love.
Six months later, he's at a healthy weight, sheds a normal normal amount and, has a thick gorgeous coat. He demands affection and, is extremely vocal. He doesn't bark much but, moans and makes silly sounds a lot. We encourage it because it's such a riot. He climbs on the couch and, lays across us all the time. He loves kisses and, gets so excited when he hears one of our cars pull up. He gets very emotional and, needy if me or my boyfriend go out of town for more than a day.
He is so filled with love and, is so fully loved in return. We love him so much we got him a playmate. Vandy is a gsd as well and, is three months old. He is so wonderful with her and, she tries so hard to be just like her Fynn.
So much of our life has changed because of Fynn. We rented a house twice as large as the last just so not only would we have a yard, we'd have a MASSIVE yard. Fynn has inspired my boyfriend to cross train to become a dog handler in the military.
Our life is covered in german shepherd fur and, we wouldn't have it any other way. Life wouldn't be as full if it wasn't for our pups and, at the end of the day, it's all because of Fynn.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That's a great story :). They're both gorgeous :wub:

#11 ·
Thanks for all the support guys! He's such an angel, just the perfect dog for us. No matter how many months pass we still randomly ask ourselves, "can you imagine someone not loving our Fynn? Treating him like that?" It literally brings tears to my eyes to think of.
@ Zivagirl, I think Beth needs you. We do have our Vandy now, who we love so very much but, saving Fynn has been far more rewarding than puppy breath. You see such a change as they adjust to a good life. I love then both so much and, we're so glad we have such happy dogs. I think a rescue will definitely help you with a puppy in the future anyway. You're kind of ready for anything after that. Good luck and, no matter what you choose it's always wonderful to give a dog the forever home they deserve.

#13 ·
That was a great story. I had happy tears. Flynn has definitely blossomed into a gorgeous boy. He actually looks a little like my Lucky(rescue) . Thank you for saving Flynn and sharing your story.

#20 ·
oh my good woman, what a wonderful thing you did when you jumped in that car. the ability of these dogs to recover their health, with good nutrition and the commitment of a loving guardian, never ceases to amaze me. beautiful story, must compliment you on your writing skills as well, lolol...

this dog will be with you long after his physical presence is gone. this dog will be with you forever. many blessing to flynn and his family.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.