German Shepherds Forum banner

Bad Skin Issue, Help Please! Pics included!

15K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Maximus43 
#1 ·
Ive noticed this from Max this week, and it's only on his back and little bit on the neck he has developed some sort of skin issue and it feels very rough, bumpy, and has scabs. I already have an appointment setup for him tomorrow but wanted to get some info prior! He is 7 months, has always been on Blue Buffalo wilderness for puppies, and he is an indoor dog mainly, only outside for a couple hours when im at school. He has all his shots and has been on flea/hw prevention for 3 months any info would be greatly appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
It looks like a skin infection. Bart had something that looked like that, they did a skin scrap and determined it was an infection. I'm sure your vet will test it to confirm.

#3 ·
The flea/hw, prevention, is it topical...is this the application spots?

#8 ·
Look up Candida yeast overgrowth and dogs. When I have a candida yeast overgrowth, I get sores on my scalp. Still take him to the vet, but look that up as well. I just read an article that this seems to be a major reason for many skin issues in dogs. And you can buy the herbal detox at any health food store.

#13 ·
blue buffalo wilderness for puppies
Beautiful dog! I don't know why dogs get "hot spots" in that area, but I just saw one in my grooming shop--the dog was in fairly good shape except for one hot spot in the middle of his back. It was itchy and scabbed over, but was in a spot where he couldn't easily reach to scratch it. Kind of a mystery. I gave him a medicated bath and most of the scab came off, the skin underneath was already healing.

Did your dog have a vaccine recently? Sometimes I see vaccine reactions where the dog will lose a small amount of fur right over the withers and have a little bald spot. Never seen it scab over, though.
No he hasn't had any RECENt vaccines since he already has all of which he needed.

#12 ·
Beautiful dog! I don't know why dogs get "hot spots" in that area, but I just saw one in my grooming shop--the dog was in fairly good shape except for one hot spot in the middle of his back. It was itchy and scabbed over, but was in a spot where he couldn't easily reach to scratch it. Kind of a mystery. I gave him a medicated bath and most of the scab came off, the skin underneath was already healing.

Did your dog have a vaccine recently? Sometimes I see vaccine reactions where the dog will lose a small amount of fur right over the withers and have a little bald spot. Never seen it scab over, though.

#14 · (Edited)
UPDATE: Saw the vet today I forgot the term he used of what Maximus had (was fancy lol) but it was some sort of skin allergy infection alright he said it could have been caused by fleas or ticks, but we couldn't find a single one on him. He prescribed him to take 2 capsules a day of Cephalexin 500mg and to bathe him twice a week with a shampoo they recommended called Chlorhex 2x 4% so he wants to see him in another 2 weeks. Let's see how it goes!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.