German Shepherds Forum banner

Get out of my space!

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  jae 
#1 ·
I have a super sweet black German Shepherd, she's nearly 3 years old. She is a wonderful dog but she bugs me with constantly sticking her rather large nose in my face. The major problem I have with this is that she likes to eat poop (working hard on this) and her mouth disgusts me. If I start petting her she immediately gets right up to my face and will NOT move. I push her away, she comes right back. Tell her no, she doesn't listen. I say go lay down, she sticks her nose in my eye. I've had her for almost a year and she has always been pushy like this. Is there a way I can teach her to GO lay down? And stop sticking her nose in my face? Thank you :)

Julie

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#9 ·
Sometimes people will train a dog to NOT do something by putting the bad behavior on cue. Then, the dog stops offering the behavior (apparently- I've never used this method) because it wasn't cued. So there's that...

...And then, maybe your girl just like smelling things. Have You considered doing K9 Nosework classes with her? Give her nose a job. Personally I think this is a great idea.

But again- if I had a dog that consistently and often repeated a behavior I didn't like, I might just give the first option a try to see if it really works or not. Try putting it on cue.

#10 ·
Ok- seriously this is so awesome that I want to find a bad behavior my dog does in order to try it!!

#13 ·
I agree. I've heard of the training method before but have never tried it. I was going to find some link (via google) to direct you to and randomly found that video. I just favorited it. What a cool idea!! I could definitely see it working for you. Remember to keep your rate of reinforcement high.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.