German Shepherds Forum banner

Breed guess (Non GSD)

4K views 56 replies 24 participants last post by  msvette2u 
#1 ·
Not sure what this guy is. Guesses welcome.

Pictures can't do him justice - he's got massive bone and appears underweight.

Although he's temporarily in our rescue he's going to another rescue as soon as we can find one for him - he basically showed up on our property Thursday and we have no clue where he came from or if he was dumped or found us himself.

Crud, I think a few are oversized, will check settings and repost.

See less See more
#3 ·
I second that, malamute... They are much heavier boned than huskies. As for the other, not sure maybe even GSD though the muzzles a bit short.

He's gorgeous though, too bad I'm at the legal limit. :D

#4 ·
he's definitely a unique looking boy isnt he? I see husky in there with the build and tail but I can put my finger on what else I see. His muzzle is not totally right for husky. The solid build reminds me of a malamute.

he looks like he could be a real sweetie.

#8 ·
what?! Could he have some wolf in there? Are they refusing him because they're full or nervous?

Any chow rescues in the area? He does remind me of Carrie's GSD/chow mix.

#11 ·
Hmm I mean he kind of looks wolfy but so do sable GSD's... His muzzle doesn't seem nearly long enough for wolf, maybe chow or Akita I can kind of see.

I am not familiar with many other sled dogs though since I can't own one where I live right now.

#12 ·
I really hope those rescues aren't refusing him because they think he's a wolfdog, he has no characteristics of one. Wolfdogs are really tall, narrow, and slender, this dog looks short and built like a bulldozer.

I also think he's mixed with some northern breed, but I don't know what else. He's really cool looking though! What's his temperament like? What about prey drive?

#13 ·
Prey drive. Yeah. No small furries or feathers.

He's submissive with humans though. Very nice.
Food aggressive (to other animals, not sure about humans, I ain't goin' there!) and even dog aggressive when food's not involved.

We're finding him a rescue because I am not qualified to place him and I am not ashamed to say that :shrug: The Northern breed people are much more qualified (due to small animal...err...destruction) and they'll board him while we search for a responsible place for him.

#14 ·
Prey drive. Yeah. No small furries or feathers.

He's submissive with humans though. Very nice.
Food aggressive (to other animals, not sure about humans, I ain't goin' there!) and even dog aggressive when food's not involved.

We're finding him a rescue because I am not qualified to place him and I am not ashamed to say that :shrug: The Northern breed people are much more qualified (due to small animal...err...destruction) and they'll board him while we search for a responsible place for him.

interesting. he'd need some serious management from an owner if he were to be adopted.

#16 ·
lets hope they can figure it out.

#18 ·

This picture was just sent me to by a family member when I inquired about a certain breed combination that I knew they'd had a few years ago. Take a guess. the pic is NOT their dog but this is one remarkably similar.

#20 ·
I love my cats. I'd rather stay away from spitz and northern breeds lol.

#26 ·
You have no idea. My uncle's dog was...unnerving. There was a "breeder" a few years ago when I was first doing breed research that advertised akita wolf puppies. Not a combination i would consider.

#29 ·
If I had the space I would take him and work through all of his issues. He's really handsome, and I like human submissive dogs best.

#30 ·
I'm not sure why the other rescues are refusing him, but I have a hunch it may be because he "appears" wolfish.
Thanks Wild, I wish it was easier for dogs like this :(

#33 ·
Wow! He is gorgeous.

I want to think he might be a Canadian Eskimo (Inuit) Dog but they are exceedingly rare even in Canada and doubt they would show up in an American rescue. They are not a breed I ever want to see in a pet home.

I am going to guess either a melanistic Siberian Husky or a Husky mix with a dark colored, prick eared breed some generations ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.