German Shepherds Forum banner

New to GSD and this board!

720 views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Lauri & The Gang 
#1 ·
Hello, I was really pleased to find this board. Looks like it has a lot of good information and good people to share information with!

I am a first-time owner (or guardian) of a GSD. Previously we have had 3 dogs (all rescue), a little terrier mix, then a lab/shepherd mix and a rott mix. I think the lab/shepherd was much more of a lab, especially what I have experienced for the short time we have had Shanah. After putting the lab/shepherd to sleep in April (at age 15 with bad seizures) we adopted Shanah from a shelter. I'm not sure exactly what happened to her, but she had been seen roaming the streets with a bloody tail and it took about 2 weeks for someone to catch her, cowering in an old dog house, and someone at the shelter saw something in her and they amputated her tail and it's all healed up, just the nub is left and wags. Not sure if she was part of a breeding or fighting ring, and they botched the job. She also had some damage to her back feet - permanent scars/loss of fur where she might have been chained.

Shanah was very scared the first couple weeks we had her and cowered, although she was very friendly from the start. They told us she was about 2 years old (and we're used to adopting older dogs) but when we got her home and decided to call a dog trainer, both the trainer (who specializes in GS's) and our vet said she was more like 6-8 months old. Our trainer told us how much exercise GS's need, and also recommended a day care for socialization. It's been since July, and she has done some training (although I don't think we're as good as we need to be in reinforcing it) and she LOVES day care. We send her there about 1-2 times per week. My husband also runs with her about 2 miles per day. She still has lots of energy leftover even after that, she's only tired the days she goes to day care.

We have a lot to learn about her energy, her digestion (which seems very sensitive) and what to do, and what not to do. She is extremely lovable and loves everyone and other dogs. She also is still having a little trouble with going in the house, right when we think she's finally learned. She has a circling issue that might be related to her tail or stress from what I've read, and she might nip at her feet (but that could be because they hurt). That activity has really lessened, and our trainer says she is becoming much more confident, and they all love her at daycare. I get to watch her on the web cam and she always seems to be enjoying herself.

Her picture of course is my avatar, and we're not sure she's 100% GS but she might be. She's a little smaller than your average - about 60 pounds, and her fur is pretty sleek and black, she only has a little bit of the gray. She also prances and is super fast (almost like a road runner) but I read that could be a GS trait.

So I look forward to learning a lot more here, and hopefully contributing back in the future. I'm up a lot with insomnia so this will be a perfect place to come and learn and share.

Thanks so much and looking forward to getting to know everyone!

See less See more
#8 ·
We are new to the forum too!

It sounds like Shanah was very lucky to find you. We also rescued our two shepherd mixes...there is something about a rescue dog...they are just much more grateful or something. Anyway, thanks for doing all you do for the little lost souls in the world - you are certainly making a difference!

#9 ·
She also is still having a little trouble with going in the house, right when we think she's finally learned.
Welcome to the board!

One thing you can do to help with the house training is treat her like an eight week old puppy - she is either in a crate or she is attached to you with a leash. That way you know exactly when she needs to go out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.