German Shepherds Forum banner

I’ve given up on trying to rescue a GSD

16K views 104 replies 54 participants last post by  Stevenzachsmom 
#1 ·
For over a year now I have surfed the Web trying to find a male GSD or even a nice Mix to adopt. In that time…I have had three attempts that ended disappointly and one somewhat bizarre experience. I also talked to a memebr here about rehoming their K-9 but my girlfriend over ruled it because of the distance involved...in case it didn't work out.

Recently, I reached out to a expert for some insight and never received a response. That was…as the saying goes the straw that broke the camels back since I wanted to privately discuss what had happened and ask was it all normal in the rescue world or was it me.

As soon as I get caught up on my bills (which should be in a couple of month), I'm going to buy another GSD or Mal.

Any feed back on this appericated.

#92 · (Edited)
As soon as I get caught up on my bills (which should be in a couple of month), I'm going to buy another GSD or Mal.
UPDATE: I sold my Harley and paid some bills...and as I told you I would, I put a deposit on a new GSD puppy and signed up for obedience / personal protection classes.

I tried my best to adopt a rescue but for some reason it seems it just wasn't in the cards !

BTW: we had Elly May fixed but since there is no medical benefit to having 'Ranger' put in the same boat, I passed on it.

#3 ·
don't get discouraged. You can do a lot of good for a dog that my not have a chance otherwise. Don't get me wrong, I am not againt breeding. I think each situation is unique and there is a place for both rescues and breeders. I am not sure what went 'wrong' in your attempts to rescue a dog. It sounds like you may have a uniqe situaion and are trying your best to get a good fit for all 4-legged and 2-legged members involved. There are services available to help you find the best fit for you. PM me if you would like more info.

#4 ·
that is so hard to understand with so many GSDs constantly showing up on email, facebook etc needing homes.....even in shelters which have so many pits, GSDs still show up....

If you are of a mind to do a rescue, then keep looking, even those wanting to buy a pup often look at many many litters before buying

Lee

#7 ·
Have you thought about getting involved with a rescue? Fostering a dog is wonderful, but your time is also valuable. These places are busy and all over the place trying to save dogs, place them, etc. If you get involved and they know you, it might be easier to adopt or foster through them. And I agree with Doggiedad, I don't think distance should matter. You can't go into owning a dog(any dog) with the thoughts "what if it don't work" because usually it wont, because the negative is already there.

#8 ·
If you are in the Smoky Mountains then you are anywhere in North Carolina and Tennessee. There are multiple German Shepherds in kill shelters all over that area. And I've seen some very nice ones going into rescues in that area and surrounding states.

#9 ·
Here's a boy in Mississippi. How far is that from you?

And I agree with llombardo. While you should not be blind to the possibility of it not working out, you should go into it with the attitude that you can make it work and are willing to get training if necessary.

#10 ·
I had trouble at first finding a rescue. There are no GSD rescues in my area and I was frustrated trying to work long distance with California rescues. Our shelters are full of pit bulls and we almost never see a Shepherd. What I found worked for us was getting involved in an all breed rescue. They got to know me and I got to know them. Once they knew what I was looking for, when the right dog became available they got her to me. :) I made new friend and I now I get Shepherds needing homes posted on my facebook every day. If you have a local rescue you work with they can transfer dogs from one rescue to another and most of them have very good transport networks set up.

#11 · (Edited)
Here are just two that caught my attention this morning.

7 yr old MALE half of a bonded pair. He is very sweet and a big boy. Knows "sit". Friendly, likes treats. Clearly this dog and his partner were family dogs. If their owners do not claim they will need help ASAP. Please SHARE!!
Pet ID: A1226466
Sex: M
Color: BLACK - TAN
Breed: GERM SHEPHERD
Kennel: 272
Oc shelter, 714-935-6848, 561 The City Drive South, Orange, CA 92868

and the female

#12 · (Edited)
Were you rejected as an applicant by a rescue, or did you just not get the dog you wanted because someone else was ahead of you in line? Or did they blow you off? If it was the latter, some rescues are tiny -- one or two person volunteer operations -- and they sometimes have trouble keeping up with communication. They don't mean to be rude. They're just overwhelmed by the volume of work rescuing requires -- but if you keep politely nudging them, they'll eventually get to you.

Have you been in touch with North Louisiana GSR? They aren't that far from Tennessee. I'm not sure if they are still active, but you can email them and see: North Louisiana German Shepherd Rescue

In South Louisiana, we've always got German Shepherds in shelters. Our shelter in Baton Rouge had 50 purebred GSDs come through in 2012. We are having very good success finding them good homes though. I've helped a number of good adopters who had "special requests" (e.g., young, black-and tan, or sable) by keeping a list of approved applicants and wish lists, so that I could notify them when one that matches their dream-dog parameters arrives in the shelter -- and one nearly always does, if they are patient. They have to move fast once I notify them, though, as our shelter does not "hold" animals for interested adopters.

Given that it's often a 4-6 month wait on a list at good breeders for a puppy, being at least as patient with finding a rescued dog will help you find the perfect match.

#13 ·
I would need more information Packman, before knowing what course to recommend.

• How many rescues did you contact and what type were they? All breed? GSD specific?

• Did you reach out for more generalized information about the process? Reach out for specific information on a particular dog? Any applications turned in?

• Did you specify a particular type of dog (say, high drive for schutzhund)? Specify a particular age (say, under the age of 6 months)?

• Did you get to the point in the application process where your references were checked? A home visit done?

• What was your travel radius from your home? How far away from your home were you willing to travel?
Were you openly uncomfortable with any policies or regulations? Agree to a home visit, etc.? I am a long time rescue person, with involvement in every aspect of it. But I also think that going with a rescue isn't always the right choice for everyone. It could be that your wants and needs are too specific for a rescue to fill in anything close to a reasonable amount of time. It could be that your expectations were too high or impractical. More information would help clarify.

It could be that you really do need to shift your search to a breeder. Or maybe some direction from knowledgeable rescue board members familiar with your region can point you in the right direction.

Whatever the outcome, it is a shame that you ended up feeling frustrated.
Sheilah

#14 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for your post...I am going to give it another try and take up offers for help.

I kept my post vague because I didn't want to start getting into the specifics of things that happened publicly. I will say tho...after that really bazaar experience with the non 501, I am kind of leary. OK heres one thing...I don't want to give out personal information (application) to a total anonymous stranger I have no way of contacting other than by a website, unless I am sure it is a legit Rescue and I know I would be seriously considered.

Anyhow...I litterly spend a half hour to a hour every night (except when I'm not feeling well) looking at local GSD / Mal rescues (within about 100 miles) that I know of and pet finders.

#24 ·
I volunteer with a rescue from NYC, and can tell you that most rescues are 501c3. They will state that on their website and can search and verify. An application and home visit and reference check is always required regardless of who you are or what you want to give up. The rescues number 1 goal is to provide good homes for their dogs. I can say when you adopt from a shelter personally you still have to give them information and sign a contract. There are over 10 million dogs over the US being put down every year! Adopt/Foster and save a life today!

#15 ·
We've had that, rarely, where a person didn't want to give out their info and if you don't trust them, I understand but, we have people come to our home to adopt, so trust must be mutual, for starters.
And we aren't in the habit of saving dogs just to hand them to someone just because they say they are good owners.
We've had people tell us they wont give us info and I'm like, okay, that's fine but we can't give you a dog :(

If you're that private, then adopting from a rescue may not be for you, but resign yourself to adopting from a shelter, or a sketchy rescue who'd give their dogs to anyone, which means they aren't selective about the type dogs they take in, either (as a rule).
Or, of course, off craigslist.

Just from a rescue perspective :shrug:

#16 ·
msvette, thank you for your thoughts but this is why I kept my original post vague.

I was leary of posting about giving my personal information out but that was part of the bazaar experience I had and if you had read my post a little closer you might have understood that. I have no problem giving out personal info if I know who I am talking to and I have no problem with a home inspection either.

But the fact is, I gave personal info to someone who acted in a less than professional manner that I can't readily contact or locate and I don't like wondering where my info has ended up inthis day of ID theft.

I don't want to get into another cyber disagreement with you or anyone for that matter. So as we use to say in the Army...let's stay focused on the mission. That is...I am looking for someone with extensive rescue knowledge that will help me out, privately.

#18 ·
I don't want to get into another cyber disagreement with you or anyone for that matter. So as we use to say in the Army...let's stay focused on the mission. That is...I am looking for someone with extensive rescue knowledge that will help me out, privately.
I don't have extensive rescue knowledge, am just getting started a little myself, but what I did was put my zip code into petfinder and found pet adoption groups by location. Picked some close to me and visited. :) I found it much easier to work with a group in this area who understand the whole small town acreage area I live in. My biggest suggestion is to get out there and meet people. It is so much harder to do over the internet where messages can be misunderstood and taken out of context.

#17 ·
talk to Jean, mod , here on the board, she is one I would trust with information and trust to help you.

Just a thought, while your saving up, keep looking the rescue route, you may find something but have saved up as well:)))

#19 ·
Contact Jean like Diane suggested. She's in NYS but BDBH, the rescue she works with, pulls from many of the shelters in Kentucky (or at least used to) so she may know of many connections in your area. There are also many rescues in Virginia, South Carolina and North Carolina but can't make any recommendations if we don't know what state you live in.

#20 ·
Here's one that just landed in my email today in Alabama--and there were offers in the email to help transport, that I can put you in touch with, if you you are interested:

This absolutely stunning, beautiful sweetheart PB German Shepherd girl is in a high kill shelter in Elba, AL! She’s only 5 yrs old and has a long wonderful life ahead of her with rescue help!!!

High kill shelter in AL! This 5 yr old PB GSD needs out now!

Lady, a 5 year old shepherd, owner surrender, very sweet, needs rescue ASAP!! Located Elba, AL, Please call 850-520-0603

#21 ·
it took me 2 years to find my gsd . i made sure i knew what i wanted and just looked over and over until i found the right dog... yes,some rescues are not good, and some are... you just have to weed thru them to find the right one, and yes, sometimes traveling a bit works out in the long run.. good luck with your search, with patience you will find what you want, and the rescue people here do a wonderful job finding homes for the dogs they post, so try to deal with them

#22 ·
I got both of my gsd under random and, fluke circumstances. It may sound silly but, I really believe the right dog will come at the right time. I got my first gsd during what seemed to be terrible timing but, ended up to be one of the greatest situations ever. If it hadn't happen like it did, he might not be alive today.
We had been talking about a puppy for a long time but, hadn't intended to start looking for another six months or so. I happen to come across a pure bred litter that the owner had not planned for. Luckily all the puppies were happy, healthy and, well taken care of. The owner simply wanted to cover the cost of their initial shots and, find them healthy homes. Because we were able to get a puppy without going through a puppy mill we went to see them and, found the little girl we were hoping for.
Keep searching and, don't give up. You'd be surprised how they change your life. Our rescue has made all the difference to us and, has been one of the biggest joys in our lives. Good luck! Post pics when you find your pup!

#23 ·
I rescued my lil guy from a local breeder. He was sick and 40lbs underweight. I had to take him home. He's been such a great guy. BUT before I looked into going through a rescue agency and found a couple of GSD I would have taken in a heartbeat. But the waiting periods were 3-5 months. I realize they have to research the homes to make sure they get forever homes. But I think more people would rescue dogs if they were available in a more reasonable period of time . IMO
I'm thinking of getting him a sister so I started looking to find a perfect match for him and us. May take awhile but this time it is what it is...

#26 ·
I had a lot of trouble when looking as well. I spent a good long while searching and sending out applications after applications. None of the rescues turned us down, but either they didn't get back to me, or they just never had a dog available that fit what we were looking for and when they did.... they blew us off on times to meet them. I sent out a lot of emails during this time, and called often. So if they missed THAT many attempts at contacting them.... they really really need to reorganize. I had a good home lined up, experience, and a trainer in place. You would think they would be thrilled. Out of 10 rescues contacted (this doesn't include individual rehomes, shelters, and petfinder ads) only 2 got back to me. One matched us to an awesome dog that I thought would fit... and then decided at the end she wanted to keep her instead, and the other just never fully went through with meet and greets.

It was extremely stressful and I ended up throwing in the towel. Just when I gave up all hope, a member on here mentioned about Duke being available for re-homing through his breeder. We fell in love with him and took him home.

The next GSD (Storm)... we purchased from a breeder. Which this was also done because I wanted to be more involved in the sports and needed a GSD bred for it. However, I'll be 100% honest, other then the humane society, or shelters.... I probably wont go through a rescue again. No offense to anyone here, but what a freaking headache. I'd understand if I was questionable.... like... lived in a studio apartment, no fence, no vet or trainer lined up, no experience, low income... etc. None of that is true, and I had NO problem giving them the $250-400 they were asking as an adoption fee. My dogs are spoiled rotten here.

Back when I used to volunteer and foster for rescues... I just don't remember it being so difficult for good homes to adopt. I understand the rescues have a lot on their plates, and can understand their side of it (I've been on that side too).... but, there are some rescues still out there that really need to learn to be organized and loosen up a bit. Many excellent homes are being passed by..... one dog out to those homes, is room for another to come in!

Anyway, I'd love to be confident in saying keep trying and don't give up.... but, at the same time I completely understand your frustration and didn't continue myself... so it would be silly for me to say something I can't stand behind. Maybe it's time to try stalking your local humane society.... they may not be as well evaluated, and may need some TLC, but I am sure some make their way in and it doesn't take too much to adopt from them. Lots of great dogs have come from those places.

Good luck on finding your next one.... whether they are rescued or purchased, I'm sure they'll have a wonderful home!

#27 ·
I know in south florida you can call all the local shelters and, leave your info if you're looking for a specific breed. Anytime one comes in they'll give you a call and, let you know that there has been a new arrival. I don't know if thats true elsewhere but, it was great for a friend of mine who was searching for a Doberman. She got calls regularly and, finally found a dog that would fit perfectly with her family.

#28 ·
Don't give up yet! There are so many beautiful dogs in shelters and in rescue groups who need good homes. We found our girl from Southeast German Shepherd Rescue and I highly recommend them. They are a great group of dedicated volunteers and they have beautiful shepherds. Their region also now spans through Virginia, North Carolina, and Tennessee. Please check out their site at Welcome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.