German Shepherds Forum banner

Good week with my pup!

932 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  gsdlover91 
#1 · (Edited)
Every other puppy I've raised(four total now) has been an absolute pain in my arse, not that I don't love them! But you know the trials and tribulations of raising a dog, lol.

For whatever reason and maybe it's just because I'm used to puppy antics now but Ollie has been nothing but a joy to me. He house broke from day one and he has never been landsharky, he tried it a few times, I made a very loud AH noise and he's never tried it again and he is such a lover. I think I have definitely been hit with the GSD magic!

The only issue I've been having with him(besides teaching him cats are friends, not food) is that he has a fierce independent streak... I would get dismayed when I'd see people talking about their GSD's being shadows and Ollie only follows me around because I keep him tethered all the time. I did not keep him tethered one week because I got frustrated with it and he did not seem to care where I was. Of course I realized what a huge mistake this was, not because of getting into things(I could always see where he was, our house is pretty small with an open floor plan) but because he was learning, "hey, if I don't want to go with her or come to her when she calls I don't have to!" So another good reason to keep puppies on a leash no matter how annoying it is... I was being an idiot, I know this! :)

Since late last week I have been working hard on recall training, it was what he was worst at and probably the single most important thing to train a dog. It's going really well so far and he's starting to become more and more of a shadow. I've done some recall training at busy places with dogs and people running around and each time I'd call him he'd come bounding back to me with that puppy exuberance making my heart feel like it was going to burst! His recall is not perfect but I think for four months old he is doing awesome. :wild:

Lastly I LOVE playing fetch(throwing the ball not catching it lol) and I've been working hard trying to teach Ollie how to play.... Today was our first real game of fetch! Watching him have so much fun chasing the stick and then running back to me is just amazing.... I know, silly right? It makes me so happy though... At one point I threw the stick really far and it landed behind a tree stump, I thought for sure he wasn't going to find it but he sniffed all around for it, found it and was so proud of himself! I swear he had a puffed out chest LOL.

Anyways this pup is amazing and it's so fun to watch them learn and grow. :wub::wub:

See less See more
#4 ·
That's true! My golden has terrible separation anxiety and its loads better then what it used to be... It makes things a lot more complicated that's for sure. Whereas with Ollie he's just like, "oh you were gone?" :)

#7 ·
How old is Ollie now?? Berlin didnt start becoming my "shadow" until not too long ago, he was definitely WAY more independent as a little puppy than Akira (she was literally a velcro dog). He still is independent, but is always curious as to what I'm doing and what not..It takes time, but I am sure he will become your shadow! As for the recall, when he comes when you call, have a party! And try some really high value treats as praise for when he does come when called (like boiled chicken breast, liver, etc). I used chicken the other day for a training sesh, and it is so valuable to him, and worked so well, that I taught him roll over in less than an hour. He'll catch on to the idea that coming to you = VERY good things!! :D

Im happy your little guy is bringing you as much joy as mine is, especially with fetch! HAHA, im not sure who likes it more, me or Berlin. Congrats on Ollie being such a smart boy!

BTW, what are you doing for the cat issue?? I am interested to see if you have any other ideas than what I have been doing, because I sure am having a hard time with that as well!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.