German Shepherds Forum banner

DIY toy, equipment, etc. thread - post yours.

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Traveler's Mom 
#1 ·
I'm always looking for new, hardy toy and equipment ideas, so please do share if you have some good DIY's.

We use the flirtpole, and the springpole mostly which are both super easy to do yourself at home, without buying anythign but cheap, basic material.

How to make a flirtpole:
The Flirtpole

I'd copy-past but we're not allowed.
You can use other materials, like a light broom handle, light rope, and a smooth toy. It's super easy for you to really work out your dog, flirtpoling is super fun for dog with high-prey drive, it works their whole body and also improves mouth/eye coordination, since they have to constantly keep an eye on it as it darts around and changes direction quickly.

And here's a short video on an easy DIY springpole.

And showing how much fun they have one it: - this is an adorable little dog

I'm in the process of making a new springpole for Mister Jaeger, using this method and a sturdy wooden frame, with concrete securing the vertical posts. It's very simple to do, and most dogs just love it - it's a great self-workout. Even my elderly pomeranian mix has a blast.

I'm also making another break stick, never made one that was curved/with a handle before so I don't actually plan on carrying it around, I'm just mostly out of things to make and found a cool axe handle to play with. And I think everyone with a dog should carry one.

I'm also into making collars, harnesses, backpacks and such for the dogs, I just don't do it well, so if anyone else does it at home and wants to share how they do, feel free to post your DIY/pics and whatnot.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yikes that springy pole thing looks like it could do a bit of damage - don't think I'd use one for my GSDs
When I had short hair dogs I used to sew them rugs to wear in winter :) I also made polar fleece neck covers for my horses :D
I also made a bunch of agility jumps out of PVC pipe - they worked quite well but the sun killed them in the end :)
Currently looking at making a smallish A frame for a bit of fun in the back yard :)

#4 ·
I know tons of people who use the springpole, never any injuries if you make it right. People who do a lazy sloppy job with cheap equipment - like bungee cords - are asking for trouble. You can also adjust the height so it can be low to the ground or high as you want, but most people don't recommend it to be high up because with those crazy little dogs who jump like bunnies, they can hurt themselves.

Rugs? Like, throw rug material?
You should detail how you make them - I'd love to start making jackets for mine again.

#5 ·
#11 ·
Homemade vest

I made this vest so Traveler could carry his own water bottles.

Rectangle piece of cloth, a strap for around his neck/chest sewn to one of the small sides, 2 straps attached at both long sides of the rectangle with velcro closures for around his body and 2 velcro'd loops to hold the bottle- make one for each side.

Attachments

#12 ·
Liver Training treats

I did a similar thing with beef liver. I boiled the liver to get rid of the blood, put that broth in ice cube trays for cool treats and then chunked up the liver into small pieces and dried the pieces in the oven.

I did a Do It Yourself blog post on Dehydrated Sweet Potato Dog Chews... instead of paying $30 for a bag, I pay less than $5.

#13 ·
Ooops. I don't know how the Dehydrated Sweet Potato chews quote got left out but that was done by another poster, not me. Sorry!

I did a similar thing with beef liver. I boiled the liver to get rid of the blood, put that broth in ice cube trays for cool treats and then chunked up the liver into small pieces and dried the pieces in the oven.

I did a Do It Yourself blog post on Dehydrated Sweet Potato Dog Chews... instead of paying $30 for a bag, I pay less than $5.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.