German Shepherds Forum banner

We Are Going Skijoring!!!!

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  TrickyShepherd 
#1 ·
So excited to have the opportunity Togo skijoring with Puppy in Feb. we are doing it through a doggie adventure company that does a one day human and dog intro lesson! I love cross country skiing and am super looking forward to the trip. Has anyone been skijoring before? Will post pictures when I return!!!

#6 ·
Thanks!! Will do!!!

I would love to do that! Have fun
I can't wait. It took a long time to find this opportunity. Most skijoring places in Ontario use their own dogs, which seems kinda odd.

Well, you MIGHT have a problem. I've trained Kyleigh to heel wonderfully, and it took some coaxing, and lots of running ahead and calling her to get her to pull the sled!!!

I've done sledding with Ky 4 times now, and the first two were hilarious .. I'd walk beside her, she's pulling the sled, and as soon as I was "too far back" she'd stop and look back at me!!

They will figure it out ... they are on a harness, which is designed to help a dog pull .. not a leash, so when there is no correction coming from the leash when they are pulling, and you're actively encouraging them, they'll get it! But it might not happen the first time!

Is there anywhere you can go to practice? Also, if there are other people there with their dogs, you might have an easier time, if your dogs are trying to "catch" up to the other dogs!

Either way, you're bound to have a blast - laughing at your antics to get them going ... or having a blast because they "got it" right off the bat!!!
Wow! Thanks for te advice. We can't practice because I don't have the harness. It's okay. I'd be happier if she just skied beside me, might even prefer it!!

#5 ·
Well, you MIGHT have a problem. I've trained Kyleigh to heel wonderfully, and it took some coaxing, and lots of running ahead and calling her to get her to pull the sled!!!

I've done sledding with Ky 4 times now, and the first two were hilarious .. I'd walk beside her, she's pulling the sled, and as soon as I was "too far back" she'd stop and look back at me!!

They will figure it out ... they are on a harness, which is designed to help a dog pull .. not a leash, so when there is no correction coming from the leash when they are pulling, and you're actively encouraging them, they'll get it! But it might not happen the first time!

Is there anywhere you can go to practice? Also, if there are other people there with their dogs, you might have an easier time, if your dogs are trying to "catch" up to the other dogs!

Either way, you're bound to have a blast - laughing at your antics to get them going ... or having a blast because they "got it" right off the bat!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.