German Shepherds Forum banner

Should I be concerned ?

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  NDrugerGSD 
#1 ·
My 12 week old male pup loves to bite hands and pant legs. I redirect him to toys and he still comes back to hands and pants. Should I be concerned with aggression or will he grow out of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
Very normal, not a sign of aggression in the slightest. It's a normal developmental stage. How long it lasts varies but the best course of action is to toughen up :)

Seriously, just keep doing what you're doing. Don't lose your temper, that's not going to help at all and will make you feel worse. Your pup will outgrow this and then ironically enough, you're going to miss it someday. I promise :)

#3 ·
I agree it's normal behavior, but not one that should be encouraged. Correct it by: offering more suitable chew toys; removing yourself from the pup's proximity for a little while to let him know you don't like it; use whatever sound you make to mean NO (I never say no); distract the little rascal with some other activity.
But don't worry!

#5 ·
Totally agree with the advice above...very normal, not a sign of aggression at all, and just be consistent about handling it and he'll grow out of it before you know it. In fact I would probably be more concerned if a 12-week-old puppy never tried to mouth you or play inappropriately with you! He's still learning his most basic manners, after all.

Another question for you guys. I feed him 3 cups if nutri-source a day and he still is looking for food. Should I switch food brands or is it normal for him to seem hungry after eating?
I wouldn't go by his attitude but by his weight. Many dogs always act like they're starving. Is your puppy a healthy weight and does he have a good energy level? If so, don't increase his food. You don't want an overweight puppy, as extra weight puts increased stress on developing joints and may contribute to joint and bone problems later in life. Of course, you don't want a skinny pup who isn't getting enough nutrients either, so it's a bit of a balancing act.

What does he do to make you think he's still hungry? How often do you feed him? If he really is abnormally fixated on food, it might help to break his feedings up into more, smaller meals so he has less time to feel hungry between meals. It probably wouldn't hurt to ask your vet about it too, if you're in doubt.

#7 ·
there's no aggression. your pup is being a pup.
when my pup nipped i use to move him away
and say "no biting". he slowly learned not to nip.
i think my dog grew out of the nipping stage moreso
than me training him not to nip. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.