German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crusty irritation in corner of mouth.

88K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  RyanMosser 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Kira's had this crusty irritation in the corner of her mouth for at least a month. Originally, I thought that maybe it was from catching her frisbee. I haven't played frisbee with her for at least a month.

It looks like chapped, cracked lips.

Ever see this?
If so, how was it treated?

#5 ·
My dog gets chapped lips like this sometimes. I blame her gross jolly balls. My vet calls it lip fold pyoderma. Penaten cream was recommended here and it works great. I'm pretty sure you can only get it online. Its thick and stays put, clears up very quickly.

#13 ·
#7 ·
Add a "natural" B-complex suppliment...will help with bacteria (B3)

Natural means a suppl. w/Methylcobolamin (B12), NOT cyanocobolamin...a b50 or b100 where all the "b's" are same millgrams is normally a synthetic.

should also read no-flush niacin

also add an oz. or two of some baby calves liver "here and there" (not daily) for zinc and vit.A, some sardines for selenium and omega 3.

Coconut oil, spritz ACV/water, witch hazel, vit.E, vegetable glyserin...but not petrolium jelly

#9 ·
Another vote for Penaten (check Amazon)--it works very well. Also, my vet once sold me something called Oxyfresh Pet Gel which works well.

#10 ·
Weird, I just asked this to my friends on Facebook.
Since Gunner had the lip fold infection, his lips have stayed droopy.
Now one side is crusty as well. I figured the cold air is drying them out, making them chapped.
I ended up buying Aquaphor at the drug store. I've only applied it a few times so far, but they are much less dry and crusty.
You find it where they have Chapstick.

#12 ·
whole food sources for Vitamin B -- carob , alfalfa (the entire complex B) , barley grass , sunflower seeds , almonds, raspberry, bell peppers - red and green, garlic , burdock, nettles, spirulina -- all ingredients I use in the supplements - plus keep reminding a vegan son to make sure he has a good source of non-meat Vitamin B and B12 .

meat sources - poultry, eggs, liver , fortified milk

#16 ·
might be something to do with immune system issues too....do some research, see a good vet...

Lee

#17 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.