German Shepherds Forum banner

Still very bitey?

4K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Linda1270 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. My dog Alfie is about seven months old now and he is still very bitey. I've read the many threads posted here on bite inhibition and we have been applying all the advice from those topics but he still bites. Everytime we want to pet him, or play with him, or anything, he'll bite like a baby pup would at the age of 10 weeks.

Will this phase end? Should I just keep doing what I'm doing (redirecting to toy, stopping all play,etc) or should I start doing things differently. I've never owned a dog before so I'm not sure and would appreciate any advice.

Thanks everyone! :)

#2 ·
He really should be improving by 7 months.. Try this.. Take one of his favorite treats and close it in your hand. Let him sniff your closed fist, as soon as he licks your hand open it so he gets the treat. Repeat this until he learns your hand is for something good like a treat rather than one of his favorite chew toys.

#4 ·
He really should be improving by 7 months.. Try this.. Take one of his favorite treats and close it in your hand. Let him sniff your closed fist, as soon as he licks your hand open it so he gets the treat. Repeat this until he learns your hand is for something good like a treat rather than one of his favorite chew toys.

We've tried that as well. He's currently enrolled in basic obedience class and our trainer suggested that. Not only that, we actually hand fed him all of his food for 2 months but still he's biting a lot.
Are you or anyone in the family disciplining him with your hand?
If by hand you mean hitting him then no. The only thing we would do is maybe shake a finger at him when he's doing something bad.

#7 ·
Schatzi was like that at 7 months, but by 8-9 she stopped. I just kept redirecting her or everytime she tried grabbing my hand I would give a firm NO and turn away from her for a bit then go back to normal. I thought she was going to be like that, but she got over that phase...

#8 ·
I wonder what you guys think of my technique to stop these puppies biting hands etc. When they try to do it i put my hand into there mouth. I'll pretty much stuff my fist in there, to see if they really want to bite me. So far any pup I've done it to realizes they have bitten more than they can chew. I can see there expression change and they'll let go and not try it again with me.

#10 ·
It's becoming increasingly frustrating. I can't even pet or hug my own dog because almost anytime I touch him my arm or hand or something ends up in his mouth. He doesn't even bite hard, he just mouths on me. I don't understand why this hasn't stopped, or at least died down a little. It's been like day one recently.

I'd appreciate any advice please. I don't know what else there is to do as I've tried everything in the puppy mouthing handbook.

#14 ·
Puppy recently had a bit of regression in mouthy bites behavior after her spay. She was 15 months. What worked was every time she mouthed, I would sharply say no, get up and take her to her crate. This requires you to keep a Leash on the dog when you interact. It worked very quickly, and was how I got her to learn the first time too.

#15 ·
Tess is still nipping and biting, not as bad as when she was smaller but it's bothersome. She's 5 months old now. Her trainer suggested that we take our hand and cup it over the top of her mouth and put a tiny bit of pressure there so that she's actually biting herself. This works when she puts her mouth on either myself or my husband and refuses to let go. My pup is a notorious land-shark, has been from day one.

We keep working with her on her training (leave it and off) and she is improving, however, she's teething now and has lost 3 teeth already, that we know of, not sure about the ones she has swallowed. I do NOT put any pressure on her mouth at all while she is going through this stage.

Be a little more patient and this should end for you very soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.