German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Amount of Exercise?
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kyleigh
Elite Member

Default Amount of Exercise?

I was talking to one of my friends the other day (who also has a GSD) and she was surprised at how much exercise / training, etc. I do with Kyleigh. She told me (she's had dogs all her life) that I do too much with Ky, and that I should tone it down.

I'm looking for some feedback from the experienced GSD owners. This is what I do with Kyleigh ...

Weekdays
5 am - we're out for an hour, walking, jogging, and we play at the play structure, and kick her soccer ball

6:30 - 11:30 - crated

11:30 - 1 - she's out around the house / in the back yard while my dad's home for lunch

1 - 4 - crated

4:00 - 7:00 (or so - weather dependent, if it's -27 we're usually back by 6) we are at the off leash park where she plays with her friend and gets to run up a storm

home for supper, some relaxing, and then at 9 we're back out for another hour or so (same as at 5:00 am)

Weekends - hiking for about 3 hours in the morning, relaxing, and then back out again for about 3-4 hours (depends on weather)

Yesterday (the reason my friend told me I did too much with her) Ky and I were at the dog park for 2.5 hours in the morning, and then I was babysitting my 6 year old nephew for the afternoon. I wasn't sure what he would want to do, so wanted to make sure Ky got some solid exercise in before he came over.

Well, he wanted Ky to pull him on the sled - so we did that for about an hour (around the neighbourhood). She was having a blast, and so was he ... he kept yelling mush mush mush (I'm pretty sure she thought he was nuts, but he was having fun!) We got lots of looks and plenty of people stopped us to chat! Rowan had a blast telling everyone HIS dog was better than a husky!

After that we went to the park and he kicked the soccer ball for her, and then we romped around the field chasing each other. We were outside for a total of 3 hours.

The weather was gorgeous (only -4) and Kyleigh showed no signs of being cold or tired.

Home around 4 or so, and then at 7 she was raring to go again, so we went out for another walk for about an hour and a half (playing on the play structure, kicking the soccer ball, etc.)

I've never seen Ky limp, or NOT want to go out. All I have to do is put on my boots and she's raring to go.

I also watch her closely ... if she's passed out on her bed at 8:30 and shows no desire to go outside and play, I won't "make" her go. We'll go in the backyard and she can do her business, and if she's got some energy to burn, we kick the soccer ball or play hide and seek.

Next summer I want to work on her pulling a cart / wagon, as well as more intense urban agility. The more things I read on that dogs are doing, the more I want to get her involved in these things.

I don't want to do any of this competitively, just for fun, and to keep her brain working, and her body fit.

One of the MAIN reasons I got a GSD was I wanted a dog that would be able to do all of the things that I am doing with her ... and more as she matures.

Am I doing too much with her?