German Shepherds Forum banner

Just a Pet Food Rant

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  NewbieShepherdGirl 
#1 ·
I buy my cat Nature's Variety Instinct and Ozzy gets EVO.

I'm so sick of people flipping out when they hear how much I spend on my pets' food.
I can choose to go out and eat junk. My animals don't have that option. They rely on ME to feed them a healthy diet. So I'm going to feed them the best food I can afford for them.
I spend around $70 every two months on their food. Versus $100+ on groceries just for myself EVERY month! I don't think $35 every month is too much for food.
I know you guys spend more since your dogs are bigger, but I think you can all see my point....

I'm just tired of people saying the amount of money I spend on their food is ridiculous.

#2 ·
I don't talk to people about what we spend on dog food, honestly it just doesn't ever come up and I know a lot of people who have dogs (basically everyone I know has dogs...). They don't ask, and I'm not looking for approval from anyone on anything pertaining to our pets so I wouldn't bring it up for any reason.

As far as your grocery budget, I think you still live at home so perhaps you don't think about what your mom spends on food a month? Because I just can't imagine at all how a person can sustain on only $100 in groceries a month unless you are emaciated and live on peanut butter sandwiches and raman noodles. Unless that isn't including lots of meals eating out and whatnot or you have a garden/farm that you grow a lot of your own food in (though to be fair you'd have to factor in all that goes into the garden/farm and deduct what you spent vs what you saved).

#19 · (Edited)
Because I just can't imagine at all how a person can sustain on only $100 in groceries a month unless you are emaciated and live on peanut butter sandwiches and raman noodles.
I actually, usually (finals week being an exception, in which case I buy junk food and don't even care), live on less than that. It's very doable and I'm certainly not emaciated lol. I will grant you it's probably not the healthiest diet, but it's really not that hard for one person, especially if you're paying attention to sales. I try to run about $50 a month on groceries, but am willing to spend up to $100.

As for how much I spend on dog food. My mom knows and two of my family members who also are really into their dogs know. Other than that nobody knows. Part of it is I think it's rude to talk about money. Part of it is, it's nobody's business why I do with my money. I earn it; I'll spend it how I see fit. People are only able to comment on your life if you provide them with information to comment on. My policy has been, unless you're asking about how much I spend on something for a reason I see as valid (such as one of my cousins asking me about how much I paid for Sasha's food because she was wanting to switch her dogs off of the food they were on.) then I'm gonna tell you I don't talk about my money.

#3 ·
When I tell people how much I paid for BB they say things like "why? Its just a dog" or "why not buy iams (or Purina) its just as good but less than half the price" its like..yeah my dog eats cat poop and won't eat iams anymore..plus after reading the ingredients on both..I'll stick to BB

#5 ·
I just mention that it's cheaper in the long run, because you spend less on vet bills, they eat less, less bathing, and smaller poops are an added bonus.
I get grossed out petting some people's dogs because they're greasy and leave an almost slimy feel on my hands.
Ozzy only gets a bath if he goes out and plays in the mud or something.
He has a super soft, shiny coat. His last bath was probably around August last year, and that was because he was a mud puppy, haha.

#4 ·
Sometimes it comes up in conversation. :/

I buy my own groceries. $100 per month was inaccurate- it's $100 per pay check. (Every two weeks). I was just irritated and typed that up quick.

It came up today because we were at Petco dropping off cats for the adoption event and I had a $10 gift card to spend, so I used it toward the cat's food.
My mom and another foster asked how much it was and they were like, "OMG, that's RIDICULOUS!!!"

#9 ·
Sometimes it comes up in conversation. :/

I buy my own groceries. $100 per month was inaccurate- it's $100 per pay check. (Every two weeks). I was just irritated and typed that up quick.

It came up today because we were at Petco dropping off cats for the adoption event and I had a $10 gift card to spend, so I used it toward the cat's food.
My mom and another foster asked how much it was and they were like, "OMG, that's RIDICULOUS!!!"

I dont think its ridiculous to spend money on a decent cat/dog food. I know poeple that feed their dogs junk like purina and complain about it all the time. I give you a thumbs up for only spending 100 bucks every 2 weeks on groceries. I'm single and cant get out of the supermarket every week for under 80 bucks and i dont buy junk food either.

#6 ·
My family members are as well versed in the differences between brands, so they are spending the same kind of money. Anybody else, I'll tell them to read up on what's in the cheaper stuff. I've convinced a few coworkers to make a switch for the better.

#7 ·
People around here just think I'm an idiot. My favorite one ever "its the same thing..you're just paying an extra 35 dollars for a shiny bag and a name" OH REALLY NOW? everyone seems to feed their dogs the WORST food out here. Kibbles and bits, pedigree, Purina, etc.

#8 ·
My parents used give me grief almost every time they saw me. Until I pointed out that our dogs are the same size, I feed 3-3.5 cups a day, they feed closer to 6. My 80$ bag of dog food lasts 2x as long as your 35$ bag, when I made that point they kind of backed off.

I dog sat for them for 2 weeks and when they came back I sent their dog home with a new bag of dog food, completely off Alpo or whatever they were feeding her and loving Fromm, they haven't looked back since.

#10 ·
Next time someone makes fun of you for feeding a good quality dog food, just mention to them that you know someone who's dog died because of what they were feeding. My last GSD dog had a tumor under his chin on the throat area and he had to be put down because of it. When I asked the vet if the dog food could have been the cause he said YES and it most likely was the cause. No more cheap dog food for any dog I ever own.

#11 ·
I feed my pup (10 months old) Royal Canin biscuits and beef mince. The biscuits come in a 12kg bag which lasts around 6 weeks, and costs around $110 (Aus-$$). Mince wise it's around $12 a bag which lasts maybe 4 nights? So on average it works out to be about, $5.60 per day?

When people tell my fiancé and I it's ludicrous to pay that amount I just reiterate the pup cost $1250, so there's no point in going cheap with food. Premium dog = premium food.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#12 ·
Actually Royal Canin is a very low grade dog food. Check it out by googling dog food review sites. I am not a big fan of dog food advisor because they list a lot of dog foods as 5 star, when they are really nothing more than 3 star. Dog food analysis rarely gets updated but they tell it like it is. But these 3 sites are a beginning.

Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

http://dogfoodchat.com/

Dog Food Reviews - Main Index - Powered by ReviewPost

Here is a great site if you have some time to do a little reading.

The Dog Food Project - Ingredients to avoid

#13 ·
Royal Canin spends more on research than most other pet food companies. They build their kibble based on the demands of the dog. They were the first company that produced breed specific diets based on years of research on the nutrient requirements and physiology of the Herman shepherd. If you would study to why they include certain products in their food it makes perfect sense. I've used most premium kibbles on the market today and some dogs don't do very well on the most expensive brands - Origen included. Find a kibble you can afford and one that your dog will eat.

#16 ·
We tried 6 or 7 different foods..(over a long course of time, giving him time to adjust to each one)...no matter how long we waited, he had diarrhea on all of them and a dirty coat with smelly ears/breath. Within 5 days of being on Diamond Naturals, diarrhea was gone and within a few weeks his coat and ears were great!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.