German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Arthritis so Young???
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 12:34 AM
Master Member
Arthritic changes can happen at any age, puppies at 4 month old can already have arthritis in joints.
My first dog (Mastiff x) was on Cartrophen injections and glucosamine for 8 or 9 years, they did help her joints a lot. I have no idea if it will help with spinal issues but there's probably only one way to find out - the main thing is you need to be patient with the Cartrophen and the glucosamine especially it takes time to work, at least a month until you see a difference.

With Max it made a huge difference, the Vet told me to have her put to sleep when she was 4 years old because she was arthritic and had had surgery to repair a torn ACL - she lived to 12 years old She did get Rimadyl for the least 6 month because she was uncomfortable without any pain relief.
All my dogs now get a joint supplement with glucosamine and MSM - the older girl because she's 6 years old as a preventative (she's showing no signs of pain) and the 11 month old pup because he already showed arthritic signs in his elbows at 4 month old and had surgery to fix an ununited anconeal process They are both on a low maintenance dose of this stuff Joint Guard For Dogs - Nature Vet

I would also look into acupuncture like jocoyn said It worked great on one of my ex race horses that had spinal issues
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome