German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Arthritis so Young???
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
jocoyn
Zombie Queen Moderator

I do have experience with hip dysplasia with severe remodeling in one that age. Symptoms came on after a cold swim about the same age. No experience with cartrophen but I know some who have had good results with adequan. All she ever needed until the end was fish oil and glucosamine/MSM supplement and some metacam maybe the last 6 months of her life (she died of hemangiosarcoma at 9)..but I really thought the value of glucosamine was joint lubrication and this is not a joint issue like hips are.

Grim has some spinal arthritis (spondylosis, bridging) but he is 9.5 and it is mainly at the thoracic/lumbar junction. He gets turmeric and some chinese herbals and fish oil. Turmeric has a lot in common with metacam - it is loaded with natural cox-2 inhibitors. The downside of metacam is you will need to go in every 6 months for bloodwork and it is expensive. The good thing though is the liquid can be metered down so that you can give the minimal effective dose. For Cyra the dose for a 20lb dog worked just fine with her 50lb body.

DEFINITELY the omega 3 fatty acids in good quality fish oil (The EPA and DHA) are highly anti-inflammatory and need to be included so I would ask the vet about that as well.

Acupuncture and cold laser haver really helped Grim (the one with spondylosis) - If he were younger I would be doing more research into stem cell therapy. Our vet just mentioned some kind of new cytokine therapy but I am clueless and looking into it. My vet is also certified in chiropractic but not with the arthritis.....

I would also talk with a vet physical therapist if you have one about appropriate excercise. Excercise is excellent for any arthritis but you don't want to add further injury. I would think jumping in and out of vehicles would be forbidden and walking and swimming probably excellent.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles

Last edited by jocoyn; 01-04-2013 at 11:57 PM.
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote