German Shepherds Forum banner

Help me with these "oils"

4K views 38 replies 16 participants last post by  Liesje 
#1 ·
My dogs are getting dry and itchy so my vet is recommending more omega-3s and I keep seeing people going on about coconut oil. I've got organic extra virgin coconut oil and fish oil tablet that say: 600mg fish oil, 300mg omega-3, 162mg EPA, and 108mg DHA. Oh and I have apple cider vinegar if that's of any value.

My dogs usually eat one large meal (2 cups) a day so that is when I plan to add these things. I also give them a handful of food in the morning and handful before bed but don't serve it in a bowl.

So how much of each of those things should I add to 2 cups of kibble for a 65lb and 75lb dog? I also float the food with warm water (melts the coconut, helps slow down the scarfing, and makes me feel better about them getting enough liquid since there is no water pail outside during the winter).

#2 ·
PS. Forgot to say it's human grade stuff (I got all three things from people food stores and the people pharmacy).

#3 ·
The EPA/DHA are pretty low...is it just a salmon oil? Salmon oil is lower then a fish body oil.

As for Coconut oil 1 tsp./10lbs of body weight...so 2 - 2.5 Tblsps...but I would start low and work up over a couple weeks...like 2 tsps. each meal and then 3 (3tsps in a tblsp.) and so on...

#4 ·
Dunno, it's just the pharmacy's brand of "Fish Oil Mini-Gels". It says mackerel sardine, and anchovy. I used to use *salmon* oil but was told to switch to *fish* oil.

#5 ·
Oh that's good then, and that explains it "mini" gels...I would say ave. safe bet is 2000mg a day...some people go as high as 8000mg but that runs risks as fish oil is a blood thinner

#7 ·
Have you given sardines? I've switched to them instead of giving oils. Meijer carries the Brunswick brand(Canada) and one can per dog every few days has been working, and they love it. I also rotate the coconut oil, but my dogs don't like it as much as sardines.
I use to give 2000mg of fish oil daily, raw fed.
Humidity in your home helps reduce itchy skin.
I try to keep my house at around 25%. Even then I get static shocks now and then.
If you are getting static shocks, you know your air is dry.

#8 ·
Oh, missed the only feed once a day...no the totals should be split am/pm

#9 ·
The can of sardines is 1500mg/serving (can)...in spring water;)...certainly rotate that in

#10 ·
Yes I've used them in the past. Don't like the $$$ and the smell. Didn't like the smell with the salmon oil either (I used to use the kind you just pump on the food like handsoap). It wasn't too bad once eaten but if the dogs got wet they smelled fishy to me.

Nikon LOVES the coconut oil. He whines while I'm scooping it out. Coke likes it too but he's weird, if you are baking the one thing he wants to steal is the stick of margarine. He loves that greasy, oily stuff.

#16 ·
No reason, just thinking for convienience

#18 ·
Our Canine nutritionist recommended Coconut oil for Jake and we give 3 1/2 ounces (weight) per week. If I recall, it works out to be 15 grams per day.

She also advised to start giving 2 tsp of Wild Salmon Oil daily as well.

Being this is a preliminary homemade cooked diet to see how Jake tolerates, our nutritionist will be revising the forumla next week since Jake is responding and his allergies are improving. So with the longer term recipe, these values might change.

#19 ·
When I took my 54 lb GSD to a dermatologists a few years ago for itchy skin (pollen allergy), she recommended 1150 mg of EPA per day. I give her A LOT more than that (we use Grizzly salmon oil). My GSD's pollen allergy has since been controlled via supplements and allergy shots, I asked her derm vet and primary care vet if I should back down on her salmon oil, they both told me to just leave it alone 'cuz she is doing so well (she has been symptom-free for 3 years). I do take her off of her salmon oil a week before any potential surgical procedure.

The liquid fish oil from Carlson Labs (for human) has 800 mg of EPA and 500 mg of DHA per teaspoon.

#20 ·
What is the difference between EPA, DHA, Omega-3, and the fish oil? My vet specifically told me to add Omega-3 but didn't mention EPA or DHA.

#24 ·
#25 ·
I'm using the coconut oil to help with better skin and coat, relieve some winter itchies and a dry nose. I've started adding it daily to food but sometimes even apply it directly to the dry patch. I plan to continue using it long term. The fish oil (omega-3s) was specifically recommended to me by the vet last night, in addition to coconut oil, to also help with a current problem the dog has. However I'd like to use both long term for general skin and coat health, so I'm trying to get a dose that is healthy long term (once daily feeding).

#28 ·
The article in the Whole Dog Journal, which is where I first heard about using coconut oil, recommended 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds, but they did suggest that you work up to that rather than start there.

#29 ·
coconut oil will detox and provide energy and support the immune system through glandular health of adrenals, thyroid and liver.

Externally it will releave dry skin and is absorbed quickly.

Not so much from ingesting it.

For skin issues it is omega 3 that you are looking for. Coconut is a functional oil . Coconut oil is a MCT , not an EFA (essential fatty acid) . There are no omega 3 or 6 present.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.