German Shepherds Forum banner

Puppy's Toenails breaking off and bleeding

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  SergioCanello 
#1 ·
I have 2 sisters that are almost 4 months old. One of them (Maddie) had Parvo and we almost lost her. She was so bad she lost a lot of her hair and was down to 6 pounds. We thankfully got her through and her adult hair is growing back but her toenails are breaking off in half on the front and back paws. I just put her in her crate when she came in from outside because 3 of her toenails are bleeding on one foot. Has anyone ever heard of this happening?

#2 ·
There is a condition where a dog's nails shed. From what I understand, it's very painful. I don't believe Parvo should have made her lose all her hair. I would call your vet and have her looked at. If nothing else, she may have some nutrient deficiencies that are causing this.

#3 ·
Nails can break if they are too long. So it may not be related to the parvo. If the nails are short and still breaking, you may want to check with your vet. If the nails are long, they need to cut or grinded - but only a little at a time as the longer the nail, the longer the quick (the part that bleeds). Stypic powder or stypic pads will stop the bleeding.

#4 ·
A dog in one of the rescues I volunteer with just recently had a similar issue.....i can't remember the name of the condition, but it's rare.....this sounds like a similar thing.....ill try to remember to find out what it's called for you...

#6 ·
TomnJen I made an offer to a person who was contemplating getting a rescue that was in very bad shape. Never did hear from them, not even sure they adopted the animal (doubts).

So as a goodwill to help you with your dog , particularly since you have been put through an emotional wringer with battling parvo and some issues that will take a long time to resolve , I would like to extend an offer to you which is to provide you with a source of high omega 3, one from fish oil - dha / epa , and the other through camelina oil.
One is Sh-Emp (fish) and the other is Power of 3-EA's which has camelina oil, African Red Palm (compete profile vitamin E) and unrefined Rice bran oil . I'll also through in a Sunday Sundae .
There is no charge . This will assist in your recovery. Do see a vet -- you may want to spritz some Vetricyn around the nail bed to prevent bacterial infection.

#7 · (Edited)
Jax, that's it!

This is what was sent out by the director...there is an online yahoo group for support and probaby advice...you might want to check them out! The dog's only symptoms in this case was constant nail splitting and they tried all the usual fish oil treatments, etc.

Symmetrical Lupoid Onychodystrophy

SLO is an autoimmune disease of dogs which can cause severe claw problems in otherwise apparently healthy dogs. It is characterised by the loss of claws from more than one paw - eventually all claws may be lost. Other symptoms may include: receding quicks, secondary infection (often with a strong smell), claw splitting (usually down the back of the claw), pain, distorted/twisted claws and lameness.
A firm diagnosis can only be reached by the biopsy of a claw, dewclaws usually being used for this. In the absence of an available dewclaw it is necessary to amputate a toe at its bottom joint in order to do the biopsy. In many cases, this is considered an extreme step to take, and is not strictly necessary. If the dog is showing signs of SLO, treatment using the latest protocols can be started - if they work, it largely confirms the diagnosis, even without the biopsy.
Modern treatments include the use of essential fatty acid (EFA) supplements, antibiotic treatment with tetracycline and niacinamide (nicotinamide). Removal of claws as they become loose can help to alleviate pain, but generally isn't necessary. Although there are few studies to scientifically confirm the results, the treatment appears to be effective. Once the disease is in remission, supplementation may need to be continued for life to prevent relapse.
SLO can appear in all breeds, including crossbreeds and mixed-breeds, although some breeds seem to be more susceptible than others. It is not infectious or contagious - other dogs which come into contact with it cannot contract it. It appears to be spontaneous, and there is no evidence of an hereditary factor - because of the absence of studies and the small number of known cases though, there is little proof of this other than anecdotal evidence.
It is likely that it is a newly-recognised old condition, rather than a new disease. It is probably more common than it appears, because in many cases it is not diagnosed correctly. In response to the lack of information available, a number of owners of dogs with this condition have gathered on the Internet to share information and support, and to discuss management and treatment protocols.
Owners of dogs with the condition, and anyone else who has an interest, can share support and information on the subject by joining the Canine Symmetrical Lupoid Onychodystrophy Mailing List, where they can discuss their problems with other owners, some of whom have been treating their dogs for many years.
To subscribe, go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SLOdogs/join.
Or send a blank email to SLOdogs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Or you can fill in the form below:

#8 ·
Seems so young to have SLO.
It'll get worse before it gets better. Poor pup!

#9 ·
It is normal that nails grow when the dog lives indoor. You have to consider that also with the nail growth there is a blood vessel growth. You can cut a little shorter every nail and with cotton press for some minutes to stop the blood. In this way you can limit the growth of blood vessels and keep nails short.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.