German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - If you ever thought your own dog would never bite you...
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Mooch
Master Member

Default If you ever thought your own dog would never bite you...

Well guess I'm one of those people that always thought - my dog would dnever bite me never mind what situation he was in.
Guess I'm going to reconsider that. Hex bit my DH on xmas eve (not really badly, he didn't break skin)

it was one of those really silly accidents that you just can't predict.
Hex was outside the front door on the porch eating his breakfast and mojo was inside with me. All of a sudden hex starts screaming at the top of his voice - my first thought was "he's got his nose or foot stuck trying to open the door."
So i rush over and open the door, and mojo runs over and starts having a go at Hex who's still screaming (this all happened in about 3 seconds) I didn't see if he snapped at her or she snapped at him, they don't usually fight.
So I grabbed Mojo around the neck and held her away from Hex while trying to see what on earth had happened.
DH jumped out the door to see to Hex. I finally managed to shove Mojo inside and get outside myself. Hex had stopped screaming at that stage. But DH was sitting there looking shocked holding his forearm which was already coming up in a massive bruised welt.

Hex had stood on a loose floor board on the porch (yay for cheap rental properties) and his foot had gone through and gotten pinched/stuck. DH realised after he checked Hex's tail first at which stage Hex spun around and bit him.
He punched the floor board and managed to bend it enough to get the dogs leg out. (This is a guy who until 3 years ago was terrified of dogs )
There was no time to go get a muzzle or any of those things that always sound so sensible when you talk about them at a seminar
But now the floor boards have been replaced and the whole front porch is covered with a rubber stall mat as it's the dogs favourite place to sleep.
Hex is fine and DH was very proud to show off his bruise on xmas day LOL he's all good again too.
But yeah just goes to show that your dog when panicking may just not react the same as what you'd expect.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote