German Shepherds Forum banner

Dog Bed

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  PuppyKono 
#1 ·
I've been looking for a dog bed for Kono since she chewed up her last one... and was wondering if anyone has/had this bed.
Therapeutic Dog Beds » Canine Cushion Super Thick Orthopedic Dog Bed | PetSmart

I read the reviews and some say the bed sinks in the middle and some say that it has helped their dog with their problems like Hips...
But since I dont know what kind of dogs those people have I wanted to ask Gsd owners so I am not going off of advice from owners with (Lets say) Great danes :p How would you rate this bed?

And If you don't have this bed what other Mattress/Orthopedic type beds do you have? And how are they?

Thanks!

#3 ·
I didnt want to make another post for this but... Should Kono be snug in her crate or should she have room to not be so cramped because every time I look in her crate she's either curled up into a ball or she is trying to make herself comfy... Sometimes she's on her back in a weird position and like this

(Its dark because my phone camera isnt good but her paw is touching the side it looks like she is scrunched in there)

(Again sorry the flash went off)

(Here she is laying down and she'll sleep like this (Only with her head down) for awhile and then try to stretch out)

I mean when I get in bed I may be curled up a little but then I always find myself stretching out right before I fall asleep because its not comfy.

She has the second largest crate do you think I should get a bigger one? OR do you think if I want her to be able to stretch then just have her sleep on a dog bed like that?

#5 ·
I make sure the crate is large enough so the dog can comfortably stand up and turn around without bumping the sides or having stooping down low. That said, for the ones that are potty trained, I usually use my extra large Dane crates so they have more than enough room. The smaller ones can even run around and chase a ball in those.

Your pictures didn't show. What you find comfortable and what your dog finds comfortable is different. When it is colder, you might find that she curls up in a ball or scrunches up. When it is warmer, she might sleep on her back with her belly exposed to air or she might stretch out more. Some dogs sleep in weird positions. If she is not distressed and appears fine, leave it be. That's just her comfy spot.

Here are some examples of my boy Whiskey sleeping. His fav bed is next to my desk so I get to see some pretty amusing sleeping positions:

#6 ·
I make sure the crate is large enough so the dog can comfortably stand up and turn around without bumping the sides or having stooping down low. That said, for the ones that are potty trained, I usually use my extra large Dane crates so they have more than enough room. The smaller ones can even run around and chase a ball in those.

Your pictures didn't show. What you find comfortable and what your dog finds comfortable is different. When it is colder, you might find that she curls up in a ball or scrunches up. When it is warmer, she might sleep on her back with her belly exposed to air or she might stretch out more. Some dogs sleep in weird positions. If she is not distressed and appears fine, leave it be. That's just her comfy spot.]
Thanks! Yeah I think I am going to get the bed I posted then if she doesnt like that I may get the kind of dog bed in your pics (the green one) and I am going to have to get a bigger crate but for now I gave her space to roam in my room at night so she isnt stuck in that crate. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.