German Shepherds Forum banner

Hello from Augusta, GA ( 6 yr old dog w/Perianal Fistulas)

939 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  gagsd 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the world of GSD's- having been a Rottie owner for 20+ years. We adopted a rescue almost 6 years ago- got him through a Rott rescue, but he appears to be Rottie/ GSD mix. Several months ago, Benjamin was diagnosed with Perianal Fistulas. Ben has come along way from the initial onset- the fistulas are closed and the swelling and irritation is 75 % resolved. Unfortunately, he had a terrible reaction to the pred and that is no longer a treatment option. He dropped 30 lbs over a 2 week period and developed some secondary problems that we have been successful in resolving, but it has been rough for him! We are currently trying to wean him off the oral cyclo/ keto regimen and onto the topical treatment with the hope that we will be able to maintain him with that and diet. I would love to hear from anyone who has dealt with this disease and can offer guidance about meds, diet, and most importantly- how to keep him happy and healthy for the long run.
We also have a 9 year old Rotti, ( Sage), who is loving the home cooked meals that has replaced the kibble they used to eat.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Berni Vipond

#4 ·
My 9YO Rottie was diagnosed with PF, was being treated with pred and Atopica. We were getting some results(not great), but sunday morning I awoke to find tremendous edema in his left front leg and shoulder. He could not even stand up. 2 days later he was gone. He passed in the ICU of the veterinary hospital.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.